Search Unity

How to remove android.permission.INTERNET?

Discussion in 'Android' started by neophil, Jun 6, 2016.

1. neophil

neophil

We are using Unity 5.3.5f1 pro version. In the player settings Disable HW Statistics has been checked and Internet Access is on Auto (why not include Disabled?).

Unfortunately our application still includes the android.permission.INTERNET.

How can we remove this setting from within Unity? We do not have any network communication whatsoever. The only thing I can think of are the asset bundles being loaded with the WWW classes. Although our data is loaded locally the WWW class might imply Internet access?

We want a "do not collect or share personal information" privacy policy and removing Internet permission is crucial.

Thanks in advance

2. neophil

neophil

Nobody?

3. OLGV

OLGV

... still nobody?

4. verybinary

verybinary

Noone cares about network permissions anymore.
    I remember before when google was hounded by requests to be able to take out networking from the app level in their respective app settings for the fear of nefarious apps.
    What did google do? They stopped making the networking permission visible. You apparently don't need any warning that the offline app you just installed is contacting the mothership.
    Out of sight, out of mind. People is dumb.
    I use some kinda permission manager for app level permissions, but this thread is about Unitys networking permission.

Unity wont tell us. all they will say is that they do analytics that we cant know about. You can disable it if you can upgrade your unity though. Good luck getting a privacy policy from unity though. I've scoured many threads hoping to tell my users what unity does with the info.

You can still claim that you, personally, don't collect any info though...

5. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Yes, that sounds correct. Using networking classes adds internet permission.

6. verybinary

verybinary

Sounds correct? I can make a brand new empty project, and build it into an android app, its still got network. the www uses the network, but that's not why the permission is included by default. I cant even fix it using paid manifest assets.

OLGV likes this.
  7. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Empty project with disabled Hardware Stat reporting should not add internet permission. If it does, please send a bug report.

8. NathanJSmith

NathanJSmith

Hi, I'm using Unity 2019.1.4f1. I create empty project & disable HW Stats, but it still adds internet permission for my Android app.
    I do the following steps to test:
    1. create an Empty 2d project
    2. File > Build Settings > switch to Android Build.
    3. Build Settings > Player Settings... > Player > Set Company Name, Product Name, Package Name. Then I check "Disable HW Statistics" (default un-checked).
    4. Then I build the apk file.
    5. copy the apk file to my Android, install the file. But the apk file still requires Full Internet Access permission.

What should I do to remove Internet permission? I really need to remove it.

9. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Try opening Package Manager in your empty project and play with disabling by default enabled packages.
    With disabled hardware stats new empty project asking for internet permission looks like a bug to me.

NathanJSmith likes this.
  10. NathanJSmith

NathanJSmith

Success! Thank you. I have successfully removed Internet Permission by removing the following packages:
    • Ads
    • In App Purchasing
    • Unity Collaborate
    • Analytics Library
    I only have the following packages left:
    • Package Manager UI
    • TextMesh Pro
    • Unity Timeline

grobonom and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  11. StefanusStudent

StefanusStudent

If there are only two options for internet access, namely "auto" and "requires", and the application you are building does not require internet access, then select "auto" for internet access. But what if the app still has permission to "get full network access" and "view network connections"?

THE SOLUTION is to delete "android.permission.INTERNET" and "android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" in the "AndroidManifest.xml" file.

From my experience, there are several "AndroidManifest.xml" files in my project folder, and I deleted "android.permission.INTERNET" and "android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" in each file that has them.

Here are ways that can be done:
    1. Open the assets folder in the file explorer (In Microsoft Windows) by opening your unity project then right-clicking on the assets folder and selecting "Show in Explorer".
    2. In your project folder, go to search and type "AndroidManifest.xml" and maybe you will find several files with the same name. To be safe, first backup all files "AndroidManifest.xml" that will be changed.
    3. Open each file and look for "<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />" and "<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />, then delete them .
    4. Save all the changes made, then build your application and see the results.
    Hope this helps you. Thank You