Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove a project from the dashboard

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by yinono, Nov 12, 2015.

1. yinono

yinono

Hi,
    While trying Analytics I created by mistake few projects.How can I remove redundant projects?

Yinon

2. mpinol

mpinol

Unity Technologies

Hi @yinono,

We have encountered a bug in deletion process so have removed this capability for projects until we can correct the issue across all services. In the mean time we have provided a way to disable Analytics for projects so they will be separated on the Analytics Dashboard from your active projects. Here is a link to instructions on how to disable Analytics for a project, http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/dashboard-update.367199/

3. SEAL_loptrinho

SEAL_loptrinho

Wow. It's a year now and still disabled? Or am I just blind? Any news on this?

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

We decided against allowing project "deletion" in favor of "archiving"...this gets the project out of your face, but protects you from accidentally losing anything. The mechanism is a little hidden:

On the left nav, go to Projects > Active
    Find the project you want and click View
    Click the Settings tab
    Click Archive my project for ALL Unity Services

Hope that helps!

wymwaq likes this.
  5. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

@marc_tanenbaum

Seeing how Analytics is enabled by default for newly created projects, it created a new project in my "services" dashboard, even if I just wanted to create a local project to reproduce a bug or test something. I now have a few "test", "test1", "test2" projects in the dashboard or the archived section that I will never use again.
    I think the option to delete should be there for people that want to keep everything tidy, or just want to delete a project that wasn't supposed to be added to the dashboard in the first place.

6. AnneSchmidt

AnneSchmidt

Very bad idea. This archiving thing is also in the Cloud Build service and we cannot even decide to not use the services. Once we opted in, not way to get out. Very bad idea. I felt so much imprisoned that I created a new account and abandoned my first account. Can you close my first account and remove the projects I archived in the Cloud build?

7. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

It's a fair point, given the new setting. I'll bring it up with the team.

8. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Unity Technologies

Hi folks! First of all, thanks for all the feedback. This is extremely helpful in the development of our Services.

@AnneSchmidt: I can understand your frustration, and we do very much appreciate your patience. Unfortunately at this time we do not have a way of deleting Projects or Organizations. We are actively exploring solutions for these cases, though. We should be able to disable the account for you. Please create a support request, providing your account information along with a link to this forum thread.

There may be another solution, though. Unity Projects are associated with Organizations, instead of any one User account. Users are members of these Organizations and are granted certain access levels to Projects associated with these Organizations. Instead of closing your UDN account, you could simply leave the Organization that contains projects you no longer have an interest in. To leave an organization you are an Owner of, you'll need to submit a support request.

An alternative is to create an Organization for "abandoned" or "test" Projects and move these projects to that organization. This would allow you to continue to use these Projects as a sort of "scratch paper" without cluttering your list of Projects in production. The only limitation to this alternative is that Projects with the Ads service enabled are locked to the Organization the service was enabled for. The Ads service is the only service that locks a Project to an Organization, though. In these cases, archiving the project would be the next best alternative.

IMPORTANT: Please note that your UDN account may be linked to purchases in the Asset Store and Unity licenses. Closing the account would make these unavailable to you.

9. AnneSchmidt

AnneSchmidt

Thank you very much for the fast answer; I appreciate much. :)

I've filed a request so that my first account be disabled; I'd like the projects that are archived in the Cloud build be destroyed as soon as you can do it though. I guess you will inform us about that here?

10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I still think the option should be added.
    All the workarounds you mention are just that - workarounds. Creating a separate organization for "test" projects? You'll still get a project once in a while where you "forget" to change organization, thus cluttering your main organization. Imagine an organization with 50 users where "accidents" like that happen once in a while.
    Why just not add a "delete" button - a clean, simple and logical solution.

Jokul_TX and Khyrid like this.
  11. orb

orb

I remember when Apple didn't allow deletion of anything in iTunes Connect. My account quickly looked like a first year computer science class had pooped all over it. Good times.

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  12. Khyrid

Khyrid

I recommend renaming projects you want to delete to DELETE 1, DELETE 2, or some other such naming convention. This way it is clear that they are just junk clutter and not anything important.

*Not nerco as the issue has never been truly resolved.

Jokul_TX likes this.
  13. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

it's funny that now 90% projects on my dashboard are just some quick test that i probably removed the files, instead of a real project

Jokul_TX and Devil_Inside like this.
  14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Keep in mind that if you don't enable Analytics when you first create the project, it won't create the associated project in your Dashboard. Once you click this setting off, it becomes the default for subsequent projects when you create them.

15. Jokul_TX

Jokul_TX

It is mind boggling to me that projects cannot be deleted. Im pretty new to this, and the analytics page is already screwed up to the point that I dont even want to go to that page and see how cluttered and ridiculous it looks. Im sure at this point that it will never change. All these work arounds .. click this off .. click that off, its just ridiculous. DELETE button .. look in to it.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  16. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

For what purpose does delete not exist?

18. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Delete did exist at one point and it caused some issues on our back end. That is why Archive was rolled out. It provides most of the benefit of deleting, without breaking anything.

What functionality would you like from Delete that isn't provided from Archive?

Adding the ability to fully delete projects would likely be a significant amount of work across several different services and that is why it has been a low priority. I would be happy to pass along the request to the relevant teams though, if you have a specific request?

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think it would be beneficial for users to be able to sort archive contents into folders such as trashcan.
    If users are busy renaming projects, that's a problem actually. It means they are losing control of things their end and would consider archive to be a dumping ground, which it is not.

In the event of a user having to remove licensed software or there's an IP issue and it needs to be gone they can just contact you. I would expect such a thing to occur once every never, really. But still.

Note: I have no problem with the service.

ap-unity likes this.
  20. Coder333

Coder333

Hello! When I open the operate tab, I see all of my projects, however when I open the developer tab, it says "unable to load projects", and doesn't show my projects! I also (like everyone else) have a useless project in my operate tab, and want to archive it. I can't though if I can't load it from developer tab! Can anybody help with this?

ps i also think that we need a delete function!

21. Serhii-Horun

Serhii-Horun

I have fixed it by switching account -> then press - add new link -> then come back to my work account