Search Unity

Resolved How to reduce garbage created by MeshGenerationContext.Allocate?

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by _geo__, Jun 5, 2023.

1. _geo__

_geo__

Is there a way to reduce the garbage created by calling MeshGenerationContext.Allocate?

I have a dynamic mesh that changes every frame. I use
    OnGenerateVisualContent(MeshGenerationContext mgc)
    to draw it inside a visual element.

According to the profiler there is quite some garbage created every frame due to the constant mesh reallocation by the MeshGenerationContext. It would be great to have some sort of native array to access and modify instead of reallocating the memory every frame. The number of vertices (about 400) I have remains constant but their positions and colors change a lot.

I played around a bit with the ImmediateModeElement. But it's a bit cumbersome to use. Before I take that route I wanted to check if there is a way to do it with the normal MeshGenerationContext.

Thank you.

2. AlexandreT-unity

AlexandreT-unity

Unity Technologies

You shouldn't have constant GC reallocation beyond 4-5 frames if you're just repainting one element. At that point, pools should be warmed up. Could you share a profiler capture?

_geo__ likes this.
  3. _geo__

_geo__

Hi,

I have uploaded them here:
    https://kamgam.com/unity/ShallowProfile.zip
    https://kamgam.com/unity/DeepProfile.zip

Here is a screenshot of the deep profiling result:
    upload_2023-6-5_17-36-28.png

To give a bit of context. I am reading the particles from a particle system and then for each I draw a single quad into the element. So at first the number of vertices increases but once it has reached saturation it stays the same.

I just realized the actual Allocate() call shows 0 GC in this. So maybe probably, I was looking at the wrong part. I'll have to dig some further in my own code then. Sorry, my bad.

UPDATE: Definitely was my own code. Thanks for the hint with the caches/pools. That got me unstuck.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  4. AlexandreT-unity

AlexandreT-unity

Unity Technologies

No problem, you're welcome!

_geo__ likes this.