Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question How to record voice-overs for animation

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by Harsh-NJ, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Harsh-NJ

Harsh-NJ

Hiya everyone!
    We have made short animated story in unity (work in progress, but first scene is ready). Now after one or two more scenes, we will start recording dialogues for it. Since only 1 month is for the animation festival for which we are aiming. I have animated the whole scene, and in another timeline track, I have the TextMeshPro Subtitles (aka those dialogues) being displayed on screen.
    My question is that how to start recording voices? To be clear, we are on a ZERO budget!. We do have a small Collar Mic in our school's computer lab, and our Computer Sir/Teacher is our (currently Hypothetical) Studio's CEO (so no problem in using that mic, he knows everything!). The Computer lab is also well soundproofed infact (corner of the school building!) There is also a projector so we can just play the rendered shot from Unity and pause it and we can speak and record the dialogues in the flow... (Spoiler: Computer Lab is our (Hypothetical) Studio!)

So,
    How can we do this without wasting too much time (as we got to school for studying) and effective dialogue recordings. Recording single lines separately or whole scene in on go, Software to use (Audacity? Then how to?) ???
    A full workflow (from Computer Lab to Unity Editor) would be more than welcomed!
    Thanks!

2. akent99

akent99

Audacity is a sensible (free) tool. You can also use it to remove background noise a bit if you have the time. It is MUCH easier to record with no background noise or hum than remove it later. I used to do it in my bedroom at home (more soft surfaces to absorb sound - flat computer screens can create a bit of echo if you are not careful).

If you are creating a video file as output and you have Premier Pro or similar, you might find it easier to use it add add the audio track to the video clip rather than messing around in Unity. You can then level out the sound levels for different voices as required.

I personally do a few goes at a full recording rather than record each line separately. I find its easier to get consistent volume, sound, pitch, etc. Mixing and matching between takes is also possible, but you can notice it when listening. If I stutter or mis-speak during a recording, I just pause and resay it (I don't start the recording again). Then I chop the long recording into clips so I can drag the clips around to get the timing right with respect to the visual animation. (I remove the mistakes I made at the same time - using Audacity, or using video editing software - audio clips in timelines in Unity I guess should work as well.) I just find it faster to do long recordings, then edit it later.

I do the full recording several times by the way because I find the first time sounds a bit robotic. After I have done it a few times it starts to sound more natural, a bit more expression in the voice. But maybe that is just me!

Disclaimer: I don't do audio in Unity, so I have no practical experience there. I have only done audio in external video editing programs.

Harsh-NJ likes this.