Search Unity

How to put randomness into speed (for a "linear" racing game)?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Shack_Man, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Since a bit of randomness makes things a lot more exciting, I've been thinking about where to add it.

Classic example: when two things fight each other, the damage and block amount is usually defined as a range, e.g. attack 15-20.
    Another classic example: In a racing game players and NPCs make random mistakes = just because you couldn't beat the opponent in the last round, doesn't mean you can't pass him now.

Now the tricky part: I want to make a game similar to duck life, a 2D side view game where there simply are no options for mistakes (mistakes would be pretty easy to spice up). I am curious if you have ideas for how to put randomness into a race that is purely about speed.

I think adding stamina that changes the speed over time could be helpful, but that in itself is not random. I was thinking of doing something like every x seconds the stamina drains by an amount that lies within a range, and that determines the new speed.

Is that too confusing for the player? Any better ideas?

2. Inxentas

Inxentas

I dislike the idea of using randomness to determine a players speed in a racing game: you open up a can of worms by introducing stuff that might make them lose the game regardless of their skill. You'll get comments like:

"The RNG in this game is terrible"

While in actuality humans don't run the same thing enough times to notice the slight mathematical bias in any script. It's about what that RNG determines, how people will percieve it.

In games like Wipeout and Super Mario Kart there is an element of randomness in the weapons you get, and the challenge is to utilize effectively what you get. That makes it more of a bonus then anything that is actually required (you can still finish 1st even if you don't fire any weapons).

Shack_Man likes this.
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

The aforementioned Mario Kart and Wipeout examples are good ones. Rather than messing with the core skills they instead add supporting mechanics that interfere with it. I'd look at other ways to do the same thing. Examples could include:
    - Change the track's path, which will impact what vehicles / skills / etc. are most advantageous at any one time. Blocking and unblocking roads could be one approach.
    - Change the track's surface. Motorstorm played with this idea, by having multiple paths on a track which had mud, jumps, etc. so that the player had to choose between. They weren't dynamic, but they could be, eg: pouring water over dirt to make mud.
    - You could do something MOBA-style by having players "evolve" their vehicle / skills along the way. Eg: after each lap you choose a bonus from a randomised selection.
    - Add weather effects? Wind, rain, lightning could effect vehicles in different ways.

Good presentation can solve any potential confusion, but it doesn't give me any meaningful choices to make. It just obfuscates my vehicle's average speed. After I've picked a vehicle I have no further control, so I see it as likely adding frustration without adding long-lasting interest.

Shack_Man likes this.
  4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

That would be a good idea, for a collectible power up.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Game Dev 101: Don't take the player's agency away from them. Ie if its a winning factor don't just punish them for arbitrary reasons (RNG are the rulers of arbritary). Find another way to achieve your design goals!