Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to put a cave into my already created terrain?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by wicash, May 23, 2019.

1. wicash

wicash

Hey, I'm looking for a way to put a cave inside the terrain I made. So far I tried playing around with the terrain settings inside unity and wasn't able to figure it out. Would it be smart to create the whole terrain including the cave inside Blender and import it as an asset, or is there another way?

2. SGM3

SGM3

I do not think you can use Unity's terrain system for caves, because the terrain is made from a 2d height map.

Ideas:

You could attempt to create your own terrain and 'cut out' areas where a cave would go, and then place, modeled in a modeling application, where the whole is. Use other models to hide the seams or gaps where the cave and the terrain meet.

You can create a terrain in a modeling software, such as blender.

Or you could look into voxels.

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

You can also use Polybrush to sculpt/blend/paint/scatter on meshes, in Unity :) Combine that with ProBuilder, and you can also delete, extrude, etc, similar to a very basic version of Blender in the engine. Pretty great for iterating on an idea quickly.

4. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

You won't be able to make caves but in 2019.3 (either now or soon) you can paint holes on your Terrain where you might place a cave that you created in a 3D modeling program or Polybrush + Probuilder.

gabrielw_unity likes this.