Search Unity

How to pull, drag, and throw objects

Discussion in 'Physics' started by fighter453, Dec 23, 2015.

1. fighter453

fighter453

I am creating a game similar to Operation in which the player needs to pull a small object out of a large object as carefully as possible. Once the object is pulled out they need to throw the object into the bin to remove it from the play area. I have found various tutorials online on how to pickup and drop objects, but the pickup is nearly instantaneous and I would like some advice on how I can pull the object based on the mouse/touch screen. Also, being able to throw the object based on how fast the user flicks the mouse/screen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

For 2D physics you can use the TargetJoint2D. When you mouse-down, you can add/enable this component and set both the target and anchor properties to the mouse-position. When you drag the mouse, update the target property to the mouse-position. When you mouse-up, disable/delete this component.

You can configure the max-force, frequency and damping-ratio to give you the effect you want, typically how hard/soft the drag-force is (acts like a spring).

As an example, you can see objects being picked-up here. NOTE: that in the video, the spring is very soft.

If it's 3D physics then I'm not sure; maybe a SpringJoint would be best.

3. fighter453

fighter453

MelvMay,

While in the process of looking into your way to implement this I found something easier here. Thanks for your help as it lead me in the right direction