Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

How to pull changes before opening the project?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by firegate666, Oct 16, 2019.

1. firegate666

firegate666

Hey, my problem is as follows:

I have two machines that I use for Unity coding and I use Collaborate to sync my changes.
    When I update Unity on one machine and push my changes, how can I get these changes checked out, before I open the project on the second machine? Right now I have only 2 options

1) Update Unity before, then open project, run through migrations and asset serialization, then pull my changes

2) Open project with old Unity, pull my changes, maybe have compile errors and complains that the Unity version doesn't match, leave the project and re-open with new Unity version

I'd really like a third option here

3) Update Unity, pull changes from collaborate and open project, fine :)

Or am I missing something here?

2. ryanc-unity

ryanc-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @firegate666, at the moment there isn't an ideal way to both update Unity and pull the latest changes from Collaborate at the same time like what you're describing. The only thing close to that method right now is to re-download your project using the latest version of Unity after publishing your changes from your update on your first machine. However, this will require you to wait for your whole project to reimport, which can be an even bigger pain then just waiting for the project upgrade to finish.

We are currently looking into having an option where changes from Collaborate could be pulled without the Editor being open, but these are still in the very early prototype phase so they're too early to comment on. But we do recognize your scenario as a pain point and we'll be looking into ways to mitigate it in our upcoming redesign.

3. firegate666

firegate666

Thank you for answering! I appreciate that this problem is already known :)