Search Unity

How to publish my unity Game on steam and how to get payment from my game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello,
    Now finally i have finish my game and now i have the folder of my game, So what i want to do is publish my game on steam but i don't know how to do that and i don't know should i publish only the game application or the folder of the game completly, I hop just someone reply and help how to publish my game.
    and i want to know how much payment i'll get from steam if i get 1000 downloaders. I hop someone here have use steam before, to tell me about those information. (my game it will free for download)
    Thanks.

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

3. QFSW

QFSW

If you're putting it for free you wont get any money per download. 0
    You can still monetise free games don't get me wrong, but steam doesn't pay you for downloads
    https://partner.steamgames.com/steamdirect
    You'll need to apply here (including a recoupable $100 fee) if you want to publish on Steam
    You'll need pretty much everything in the build folder for it to function, the exe, the data folder, unity dll
    Any other questions?

EDIT: @LaneFox ninja'd me whilst I was typing

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes i still i have questions, but how steam will pay me if i publish the game for free,
    and should i pay steam $100 to publish my game , i don't have money to pay .

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

And is there a good place like microsoft store or something, to publish my game and get good payment

6. QFSW

QFSW

As I said, Steam won't pay you for free downloads. You can still make money off of a free game however you'll need your own monetisation such as microtransactions, ads, dlc etc.
    Well that's your call to make, if you don't pay the $100 fee you won't be able to publish on Steam

7. QFSW

QFSW

Let me stress, no one pays you based off free downloads. There are cheaper alternatives to Steam however
    Windows 10 Store: $19 one time fee
    Itch.io: free
    GameJolt: free

There are surely others, but this is what springs to mind

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Okey, Thanks

9. QFSW

QFSW

Anything else you need answering?

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for your help, i appreciate
    I have decide to publish my game sell it for $5 on steam to get good paid.
    but the only thing i still thinking for is how i can get $100? should i look for someone give me $100 then when i get paid after month i'll give him back his $100 , Or should i use unity assets, and is there somethings like that i can fast earn $100 from ?

11. QFSW

QFSW

Are you old enough to work? Freelancing is an option if you have the skills and portfolio
    Really, how you fund your game is a vast topic of it's own. However $100 is not a lot in the grandscheme of things

joeyvan_unity likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Anyway i'll try to find a solution,
    Thanks.

13. RonanSmithDev

RonanSmithDev

Have you ever thought about crowd-funding the development of your game? Or publishing on Itch.io first and then using a donations strategy in order to fund the Steam submission?

14. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just a note, if your plan is to monetize your free to play game with in app purchases, Steam requires that they are the ones who process those transactions. You can't use your own 3rd party transaction system.

15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Get creative. There are a thousand ways to make the initial fee. Here are some suggestions:

- Presales. Sell your game via your own website until you have the funds to get onto steam.
    - Crowdfunding. Generate some noise on for your game on kickstarter or similar.
    - Freelancing. Do a couple of days work as a freelance dev. Sell out to the big guys for a little while.
    - Day job. Sell out completely. Stack shelves or serve fries until you have the funds.
    - Videos. Do YouTube for a while. Push tutorials or game dev logs. Get a following.
    - Sell assets.
    - Beg from friends.
    - Borrow. Family, bank or credit card.

I'm sure there are a dozen other ways to get cash.

If you can't do enough marketing to get $100 to launch your game, its unlikely you will be able to do the marketing to have the game succeed on launch.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just keep in mind you need to do more than just make your game available on Steam. If you don't have a plan to attract people to your game the reality is you won't make money off of it. I've linked a video below that discusses this and points out that the vast majority of games on Steam simply aren't paying for themselves.

ProbePLayer, ltsteel, SLASH24 and 3 others like this.
  17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. Especially when you consider that there your game will be competing with hundreds (thousands) of other games. The bottom end of the market is pretty saturated. You have hobbyists publishing games just because they can, with no care for profit. You have kids trying to make a quick buck off of asset flips. You have vanity devs (like me) who just want to see their name on steam.

Its in Steam's best interest to sink all of these types of games as quickly as possible. So unless you do something else to drive traffic and sales to your game, its going to sink.

Conversely once your game is selling its in Steam's best interest to keep it selling. So once you start driving sales yourself, the robot algorithms will take over.

ProbePLayer, ltsteel, SLASH24 and 2 others like this.