Search Unity

How to Publish A Game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kenaochreous, Sep 12, 2016.

1. kenaochreous

kenaochreous

I've just finished working on my video game and now I would like to publish it. But I don't know how to reach digital distributors like GOG, Steam and Humble Bundle and I also don't know how to distribute review code to reviewers so that they can review my game. How do I set all of this up?

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Each distribution channel has their own method of applying. Steam uses GreenLight.

3. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

You have to take your dev hat off and fasten your marketing/ CEO hat :)

Check each places requirements and submission guidelines, send emails, link back to your work and engage with the community. Make a trailer, and write good marketing copy.

If you've already made a game, you can do this stuff. Just takes some courage and getting used to.

BostonGamesLLC likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

A month into my first cohesive project, I'm starting to get it together. I can't wait to spam it around, I might not sell it at all.

Man, it's intimidating. So much time spent, so much learned and you're gonna put it out there all alone you know? It's like sending your kid off! You can't hold it's hand, you can't explain its mistakes, you can't even show someone how to use the thing. You want people to see it and say "hey, that's a cool game" - and without knowing it, you're pulling them in with discovery, each element playing on the next forming a layered tapestry of mechanics that cascade into play without introduction. The best games feel natural.

And there are all these people just turning over the same stinkevery day, and it's just like: their daily life is games and they don't even give a F*** about them. And you're just... well, basically alone. You've got some old computers, and apparently a "Free" game engine and 3D modeling app. Intense.

SarfaraazAlladin likes this.