Search Unity

How to properly scale VR for tabletop games?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by rob_vld, Mar 2, 2018.

1. rob_vld

rob_vld

Currently i have placed all my level assets in a gameobject where i have the scale set at 1f:1f:1f, then, when the game starts, i scale the parent down to 0.05f:0.05f:0.05f

when you scale down a CharacterController or light like this it does not properly translate things like skin width or light intensity...

Also the speed of the CharacterController gets all screwed up...

Am i supposed to compensate for this through code or is my approach wrong?

Rob.

AlanOToole likes this.
  2. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

I don't know the answer to your question but I was just curious is this just for fun or are you trying to release this as a game? I ask because I am not sure if you have heard of Tabletop Simulator. Tabletop Simulator has nearly every game made and is always adding more. The VR mode is absolutely amazing and you can scale yourself to the size of the playing pieces.

3. rob_vld

rob_vld

@StickyHoneybuns

VR in first person can be immersive but i also believe that looking at tiny dynamic objects is very cool to watch...

TableTopSimulator is not what i had in mind... I have dreams about creating certain games yes, but i've switched and re-coded so many game genres i lost count... if i ever will get enough motivation/time to complete this one, no idea...

I cannot scale "myself" as the intention is to watch a table, from top :)

4. Innovine

Innovine

I can't say what's exactly right or wrong, but for my project, which involves a lot of tiny (1cm) details, I run into a lot of scale related problems. The first is really, really dumb; I can't move the editor camera precisely enough, it just jumps around far too fast to let me get a close up.
    So, I have a root node in my scene where i scale everything up by 50x, which lets me edit and position things very precisely. Unfortunately this breaks the lighting ranges and other stuff, which i have to ignore, and then i scale it back to 1x (1unity unit=1m) for playtesting.
    I'm doing this so often I'm thinking maybe it's time to write some editor script to manage it.

For your scene, do you really need to scale it down? why not work with 1uniny unit=1cm or something, and adjust the lighting ranges as needed? The end result should look the same.

Unity devs, please please let us adjust the editor camera speed! When most of your game fits into 1m it is a huuuge pain in the ass.

5. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

I am very curious in how to get this working too. I've seen the same issue @Innovine is talking about with the editor camera, that does get a bit frustrating.

6. rob_vld

rob_vld

*bump*

7. SiliconDroid

SiliconDroid

I've wondered on occasions: what would it be like to stand on a 2m diameter table, feet together, on the table is a model village with a grass field in the middle (where your feet are placed). Now you shrink into the field over say 5 seconds (camera height and IPD modulated using sigmoid) and are free to move around the village you have just been looking down on.

8. Innovine

Innovine

Those kinds of scalings are really great. I'd love to see more of that kind of thing in actual games... like shrink yourself to fit under a doorway, then expand to walk over walls and rivers. You can get a quick taste for it in Google Blocks if i remember right, i think it lets you scale the world up and down. There is also a free Ikea "game" where you can explore a kitchen, and it lets you be a really tall guy, an average size, or shrink yourself to cat size. You can jump up onto the countertop and look around. http://store.steampowered.com/app/447270/IKEA_VR_Experience/?l=swedish

SiliconDroid likes this.
  9. solidearthvr

solidearthvr

I did a tutorial on dynamically scaling the height (and/or arm length) of a first person avatar in VR:

With this you can grow yourself into a giant or shrink down to the size of an ant. You can also grow your arms massively long like a monkey which is quite entertaining.

I haven't noticed any lighting or camera speed issues. However, I have noticed that the camera culling is off when I shrink myself down very small.

10. rob_vld

rob_vld

I have already figured it out, thanks for the replies though