Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

How to programmatically change sprite of an object

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by adk172, Mar 16, 2014.

1. adk172

adk172

Hi, I'm new to Unity and there's something about it's architecture that I'm still not fully understanding... for example I'm trying to create an object that will show (depending on a few conditions) different sprites.

Now I know a GameObject can have a Sprite Renderer component which is responsible of showing his sprite, so, If I drag from the assets an image.png into the game scene, Unity is automatically creating that Object wich the Sprite Renderer component, which is fine.

But programmatically I would like to change that sprite... so I need to:

1. access programmatically the assets to see all the sprites and choose one of them
    2. assign that chosen sprite to the current object, so that the Sprite Renderer will show a different sprite (changed programmatically)

how can I do these two things? I'm looking around the web without any luck on how to achieve this result, thank you very much

2. raycosantana

raycosantana

Have you search in the script reference?

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/SpriteRenderer.html

I havent use sprite renderer yet but I know you don't need to access all the assets and choose one of them by code, you just need to store all the sprites you will ever use in a public Variable (for example a Texture2D array) and use them when needed.

to change the sprite you need to change the variable "sprite" from the SpriteRenderer.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Code (csharp):
    1. var someSprite : Sprite;
    3. function Start () {
    4.     GetComponent(SpriteRenderer).sprite = someSprite;
    5. }
    --Eric

4. adk172

adk172

Thanks to both of you, now I understand how to reference from components and different scripts, I only need to understand how to store all my sprites inside an array.

Actually I did an array inside the script, then I dragged from the assets a few sprites into the array in the Inspector but the elements seems not to be in the array when the scene start (I did a print), why? I have to add them programmatically?

YES I did it, thank you very much :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Code (csharp):
    1. var sprites : Sprite[];
    3. function Start () {
    4.     for (spr in sprites) {
    5.         Debug.Log (spr.name);
    6.     }
    7. }