Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback How to proceed in order to get feedback for a simple asset work in progress

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dot_entity, Nov 9, 2023.

1. dot_entity

dot_entity

Maybe its all about rookie's overthinking, but the little I looked around has confused me of where/how to post some work I've done and I would now like some feedback of what could have been done better.

I am a hobbyist in regards to Unity and my knowledge and experience is kind of sparse among different topics related to game development. Given the former fact, I was recently tempted to create a shuriken particle system to simulate butterflies flying around an object. All in all, is actually a set of a few components: the particle system, the custom shader and the material that the system uses and a c# script. I managed (with some help in the forums) to achieve the end result, but since the outcome has been basically putting together working patches of code, I would love to know of how it could be done better.
    Therefore my question is where and what content is best to post, in order to have a chance that someone will want to have a look and give feedback?
    Although for the "where" part the answer seems obvious: "-In the respective forum section" I am not sure where this exactly is. Let me please explain:
    - I feel that the "normal" (sub)forums (Unity's or elsewhere) are meant for specific issues narrowed down to some part of the project or code. Instead, I would prefer an overall review and despite of all the work is more or less just a shader and a c# script, I just don't feel it's right to go post two scripts and ask people to comment.
    - The WIP section feels that is intended for users' reflection and recommendations on the outcome of a complete project and not the technicalities of certain components.
    - By a hint somewhere I figured out that the proper place to post my work is probably GitHub, although I have not used it before this way and I am not sure what to expect in terms of get noticed.​
    About the "what content" part, and although -as I said- the main work is concluded in two scripts, I guess, for someone to even bother, it would be best If I submit a working project (or package?) which includes all the necessary dependencies, in order to test it.

Look, I understand that by studying the relevant to this work topics and learn how things are structured properly it would eventually help me to clear things out. However, I have learned quite some stuff (which two months ago I was totally unfamiliar with) and I would love a second thought of an experienced person at this point to help me get things straight a bit sooner than -I admit- the proper learning curve would offer.:)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  2. patrick_Drake

patrick_Drake

There is a forum section for "showcases" here I assume that's probably where you would want to post it. But I am not sure how much traffic it actually gets, as some of these forums appear to be quite slow if not dead. I would suggest maybe going to reddit, I've seen quite a few people post stuff they've made there and there's always at least some replies. And considering you want feedback on pretty much all aspects of the project then yes I would just post everything, why not? However, make sure to include screenshots firstly maybe followed by a short video. People do not have much time to help strangers on the internet, including those things right away will grab attention, don't start off with a wall of text. Good luck!

dot_entity likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

dot_entity and patrick_Drake like this.
  4. dot_entity

dot_entity

Hey guys! Thanks to both of you for the very useful tips! I will post it in the small-works forum for now. In the meantime I have a related side-question you might happen to have some piece of advice:
    I have already spent some time trying to work around it, but is there an easy method to export a package (instead of providing the whole project) that includes all the components required for the particle system to work? Which are:
    • All the files(includes) of which the shader is composed of,
    • The custom scriptable renderer files and the respective asset the shader is based on. It's from another developer (catlikecoding.com, I will mention the source in my other post of course)
    • I believe the rest of the required files are automatically selected when I click select dependencies of the particle system prefab.
    So far, from what I found, I think this is the proper method to follow.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  5. dot_entity

dot_entity

I would not figure out how to create a working custom package so I uploaded the whole project here.