Search Unity

How to prepare model in 3d Software to be used in Unity with 4k,2k,1k texutures.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by YHX2000, Jul 25, 2021.

1. YHX2000

YHX2000

Hi,

When creating models in Blender or similar, what the Texel density should be set on if later one this model should display great 4K textures as well as 2k,1k textures.

Is there any problem (will this look good) in Unity if Texel Density of UV map is 1k but resolution of textures is 4k or vice versa ?
    Do I need to have multiple UV maps with different Texel density i..e 1k,2k,4k ?

Thanks in advance

2. Coin9

Coin9

Texel density means how much you allocate space for your uv islands in your uv map. for example the more you scale individual uv island the more texture space (texel density) it gets which means the more detailed the texture looks in that part of your 3d model. Best practice is to keep the texel density same size for all the uv islands so that the 3d model will have a consistent texture resolution. Texel density is also relative to the uv space (the square where you place your uv islands) so there is no size for texel density other than how you scale your uv islands to fill up your uv space. Think of it this way, the less empty space you manage to leave in you uv map (while keeping the texel density roughly the same for all uv islands) the more resolution you will get from your texture. If your model after unwrapping it to a single uv map still produces blurry textures even with 4k texture you would need to split the model in parts and unwrap/texture those individually or use trim sheet texturing technique if you are doing non organic stuff.

YHX2000 likes this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

As far as I know, UVs are always just between 0.0 and 1.0. There's no texel density stored in the U,Vs themselves. You should be able to use any texture resolution.

The only thing you might have to worry about is the gutter-space between your texture islands. if you have a 4k texture and your gutter-space is 4 pixels, then you switch it out for 512x512 texture then your gutter-space is 0.5 pixels, so you may get some color bleed.

YHX2000 likes this.