Search Unity

how to preload assets with progress bar

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jayadratha, Aug 8, 2017.

1. jayadratha

jayadratha

I know about preloaded assets in play settings. But I want it with progress bar.

The problem is I dont have a option to show a progress bar while assets are loading. I want to make a loading scene which will be the first scene of the game. And in that scene I will load all assests which will be needed all the time & while loading those assets need to show a loading bar with progress.

Anybody have a solution for this?

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You'll need to do something like pack those assets into an AssetBundle. Then you can use asynchronous loading to load them from the bundle while displaying a progress bar.

3. jayadratha

jayadratha

Isn't AssetBundle for DLC?? I mean if I load an assetbundle, will it remain in the RAM/VRAM all the time??
    I actually want the feature of "Preloaded Assets" in PlayerSettings.

4. superpig

superpig

You can keep an AssetBundle loaded the whole time, yes.

5. jayadratha

jayadratha

Not what I was looking for actually. Right now everything referenced to the scene itself. No manuall stuff. If I use asset bundle I have to manually handle the references.

The thing is I have a big scene and loading it takes time. Whenever I come from another scene to that big scene it takes time.

Now I want to make all the sprites of that big scene loaded at the game startup & remain loaded in VRAM. So that when that scene again loads it doesn't need to load all the sprites again.

NOTE: I'm not doing any Resource.Load. Everything referenced to the scene itself.

I have done it by "Preloaded Assets" option in PlayerSettings. But when I'm using it taking time on the black screen before the first scene.. Thats why I want to manually do the thing which "Preloaded Assets" options does & show a progress bar.

Any Help?

6. superpig

superpig

You don't have to manually handle the references. Just pack your scenes into AssetBundles too.