Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to paint grass in HDRP

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Prod212, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Prod212

Prod212

Ok so i know the paint detail terrain isn't supported in HDRP atm but is there any way of actually painting grass details to the terrain? If so, someone please explain how. Thank you.

2. id0

id0

You can create prefab of grass, with LOD and all that, and draw it like the trees. There is no other options for now.

3. warthos3399

warthos3399

Grab this on the asset store: HDRP_TreesAndFoliage, has all you need.

4. warthos3399

warthos3399

That asset has a wind effect shader that works with HDRP nicely, and if you know how, you can use that shader on anything, i mean anything... tree trunks, leaves, grass, objects, etc.

5. Karasu416

Karasu416

You can add grass as a tree and paint it that way, but I'm currently using the Nature Renderer Asset from the asset store which allows me to add a nature renderer component to the terrain and add the grass material in through there and then adding it in through the normal grass painting it lets me paint grass again. I am noticing a performance hit doing it this way though and I'm on an 1800X, Vega 64 GPU, and 64GB DDR4 system, sooo may not be a good way for folks with more mid-range systems. It's kind of hacky, but those are the only two ways I know of since Unity enjoys not fixing their crippled systems because they're too busy working on DOTs implementations.

6. warthos3399

warthos3399

Totally agree. I just pre-optimize my assets (grass, trees, etc.), and use the tree placer manually. The performance was better, than if i used Gaia, or any other assets for terrain details.

7. mQe

mQe

I just don't get how grass/terrain details is a missing feature in HDRP when it's supposedly "production ready". Good luck if you want to make high quality terrains in hdrp without hacks or buying S*** in the asset store.

8. Tedsen123

Tedsen123

are you serious ,not supported? This is such a basic feature:(

mQe and NekrosArts like this.
  9. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Grass mesh and terrain is still very heavy especially on HDRP.
    Be sure to utilise everything in your arsenal.
    -mixing mesh and billboard
    -Map design corridors for good occlusion culling.
    -shadow control
    -Vert count
    -gpu instance your materials
    -DONT mark for batching ( in some cases) static flag CAN double objects and thus increase run time costs
    -small meshes into larger ones then culling the rest (via script)
    Detail density
    Terrain optimization too especially distance view, pixel error, detail resolution and patch resolution.

Your best 3rd party details support for Unity at the moment would be

Nature Renderer - Visual Design Cafe
    It support procedural instancing Very straight forward plugin and play mostly.

Vegetation Studio/pro - Awesome Technologies
    A DOTs / Burst supported plugin that allows for instancing indirect rendering with placement masking and biome support (also works on trees)

10. CrazyCdr

CrazyCdr

I read the Vegetation Studio pro has massive memory leaks problems. I omitted that due to that, so take that into consideration.

11. jc2

jc2

god i hate unity.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Grass painting is there in 2021.2 and above versions....

13. jc2

jc2

yes but everything runs slower in 2021 and above versions for some reason, so much so that its unusable