Search Unity

How to paint a straightforward path in a terrain

Discussion in 'World Building' started by jma00049, Dec 14, 2019.

1. jma00049

jma00049

Hi all,
    I am doing a zoo and I want to paint the path where the user will be able to walk. The problem is that using the mouse is so difficult to paint a straightforward path. Is there any way to lock the paint in one direcion?

Thanks

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

In addition to what Flavelius suggested, you can also take a look at my modification Terrain Tools Mixer. It's basically the Unity Terrain Tools, but for one you can mix other Tools in one single stroke and for the other the modded Bridge Tool starts at the previous end point.

Btw, the most current version of Unity's own Terrain Tools can be downloaded via the Package Manager. The version on GitHub is outdated.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  4. jma00049

jma00049

I will try both. Thanks!

5. jma00049

jma00049

I can't make a straight forward path.

This tool doesn't work for me. The bridge is not painted. I made shift+click for the start point and then click for the final point and nothing happens

With this tool, the bridge tool is like a free painting, I just see a white line drawn but it is not straight forward. Maybe I am not using this well.

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

You need to set the Paint Mode from Paint Brush to Stroke.

The white line is just an indicator where you painted.

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

I just tried that one. It works just fine. But you have to ctrl+click for the start point. And you might want to set spacing to 0.

8. astanid

astanid

upload_2022-5-2_21-40-41.png
    I want to create countryside terrain like in the image above. Problem is - it's too hard to paint with a brush in a straight line. Is there any way to do that ?

9. NicoleFlt

NicoleFlt

Path painter from 3D Haven: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/path-painter-ii-184623

Painting in a straight line doesn't get any easier than that in my opinion.
    It's not something free, but it's in the Blink mega bundle at the moment with a bunch of other RPG assets, so in a way it almost free right now: https://assetstore.unity.com/mega-bundles/blink

10. Rowlan

Rowlan

MicroVerse is the future. Jason Booth pulled it off to create spline paths in a non-destructible manner. Multi-terrain capable, embankment, dynamic width changes, realtime in editor, supporting all render pipelines, etc. It's just awesome!