Search Unity

How to optimize 2D animations (with bones) ?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by AlphaDreams, Aug 12, 2019.

1. AlphaDreams

AlphaDreams

Hi everyone !

On our current project, we use the 2D Animation package (it's still in preview) with Unity 2019.2.0f1. We use it to animate our enemies and our characters with bones.

But if we try to show on one scene 80+ enemies/characters, the FPS drops to something like 4 fps. When I open the Unity Profiler, the drop seems to come from
    SpriteSkin.LateUpdate()

Is there any way to optimize our project (animations ? sprites compression ?) in order to bypass this problem ?

Thank you !

2. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

This is an issue introduced in 2019.2 and it’s current version of the package. The previous package under 2019.1 didn’t exhibit this. I’ve reported a bug which rustum acknowledged, hopefully it will be addressed.

3. AlphaDreams

AlphaDreams

Oh, ok !
    Is there any public link for your bug report ? If there is any chance that I can follow it maybe ?

4. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

I’d hope any news on this front will be in the sticky thread(s) on this forum. Development on it has been pretty glacial though, so I wouldn’t expect a fix soon.

I’m just working on other things while this tool stabilizes, but I’ve been doing that for 8 months and am running out of other tasks to pursue. Pretty soon I fear I’ll be forced to abandon it.

EvOne likes this.
  5. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

We are currently working on the issue.

Zepa likes this.
  6. AlphaDreams

AlphaDreams

Any idea on how much time it will take to get an update ? Even if it's not completely precise or accurate, just in order to give us an idea. We really don't know if we must spend time to switch to another animation system, or if we can wait for an update soon ?

EvOne likes this.
  7. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

Thanks for the assurance. I hope I didn’t sound overly grouchy, I love what this tool can already do, and if it were released and supported back in 2019.1 I’d have been satisfied with the features. It is exhausting though to watch it on this rollercoaster of performance and strange interactions with other packages and moving parts between 2019.1-2019.3.

AlphaDreams likes this.
  8. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

The current plan is to have it out for both 19.2 and 19.3 in ~3 weeks time.

Zepa likes this.