Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

How to optimize 2D animations (with bones) ?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by AlphaDreams, Aug 12, 2019.

1. AlphaDreams

AlphaDreams

Hi everyone !

On our current project, we use the 2D Animation package (it's still in preview) with Unity 2019.2.0f1. We use it to animate our enemies and our characters with bones.

But if we try to show on one scene 80+ enemies/characters, the FPS drops to something like 4 fps. When I open the Unity Profiler, the drop seems to come from
    SpriteSkin.LateUpdate()

Is there any way to optimize our project (animations ? sprites compression ?) in order to bypass this problem ?

Thank you !

Softemail likes this.
  2. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

This is an issue introduced in 2019.2 and it’s current version of the package. The previous package under 2019.1 didn’t exhibit this. I’ve reported a bug which rustum acknowledged, hopefully it will be addressed.

3. AlphaDreams

AlphaDreams

Oh, ok !
    Is there any public link for your bug report ? If there is any chance that I can follow it maybe ?

4. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

I’d hope any news on this front will be in the sticky thread(s) on this forum. Development on it has been pretty glacial though, so I wouldn’t expect a fix soon.

I’m just working on other things while this tool stabilizes, but I’ve been doing that for 8 months and am running out of other tasks to pursue. Pretty soon I fear I’ll be forced to abandon it.

EvOne likes this.
  5. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

We are currently working on the issue.

Softemail and Zepa like this.
  6. AlphaDreams

AlphaDreams

Any idea on how much time it will take to get an update ? Even if it's not completely precise or accurate, just in order to give us an idea. We really don't know if we must spend time to switch to another animation system, or if we can wait for an update soon ?

EvOne likes this.
  7. MikaMobile

MikaMobile

Thanks for the assurance. I hope I didn’t sound overly grouchy, I love what this tool can already do, and if it were released and supported back in 2019.1 I’d have been satisfied with the features. It is exhausting though to watch it on this rollercoaster of performance and strange interactions with other packages and moving parts between 2019.1-2019.3.

AlphaDreams likes this.
  8. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

The current plan is to have it out for both 19.2 and 19.3 in ~3 weeks time.

Softemail and Zepa like this.
  9. ass3ad

ass3ad

hey is this problem fixed or still not

10. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Yes, we have improved the performance since the last post. It will still be a continuous effort to make it better

11. MichaelHarutyunian

MichaelHarutyunian

Hello I'm working in unity 2020.1 and still have problem. Thanks advance

12. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

13. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Do note that for performance, you will need the burst package and collection package installed.

The collections package however might seems to be not discoverable at this moment, so you will need to manually add the following line in you package.json file

Code (CSharp):
    1. "com.unity.collections": "0.9.0-preview.6"

14. killmark5550

killmark5550

Do we have to tweak something else or just install the package? Thank you very much in advance!

15. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Just by installing the package will work.

16. rheirman

rheirman

I feel stupid for asking, but where to find this package.json file? Do you mean I should add that line to the package.json file found in Library\PackageCache\com.unity.2d.animation@5.0.4? Where should I include the line in that file, if that's the right file?

17. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

@rheirman, sorry for the confusion. It should be the manifest.json file. You can find this file at [Project Root]/Packages/manifest.json
    In this json, the line should be added in the dependencies scope.
    Let us know if you have any issues

18. Leo-Yaik

Leo-Yaik

Unity Technologies

Absolutely my bad, so sorry for the misinformation.
    Alternatively, you can add it via Package Manager as follow
    upload_2021-3-1_15-55-22.png

Cambesa, HuldaGnodima and zhuchun like this.
  19. rheirman

rheirman

Got it. Thanks for the quick reply!

20. rheirman

rheirman

I must say, I'm impressed with the performance increase with both packages installed. It was pretty worrying to see the animations take up to 10ms per frame before with a bunch of animated characters walking around. Lucklily, that's almost completely gone now.

It would be great if this performance increase can be made available for the broader audience, and not just the ones that manage to find this thread.

21. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

I'm happy to hear that you see such good improvements by installing the additional packages.

Apart from this thread, we have also published this information in YouTube videos, blog posts and on the front page of the package documentation. But it is always good to know that we should keep informing devs about these packages. In a future release we are also aiming to make these additional packages dependencies of the 2D Animation package, which will allow everyone to get the performance improvements by default.

Thanks again for the feedback, and do let us know if you have any other feedback or suggestions on how we can make the animation experience better in Unity.

HuldaGnodima likes this.