Search Unity

How to obtain transform forward velocity locally

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Homicide, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Homicide

Homicide

Hi guys, i've reached a bit of a head scratcher, though i'm sure there's a solution i just cant see.

I have a Hero with a controller set up that uses both right and left stick (gamepad).

The left stick moves the hero , while the right stick controls the direction the hero is looking.

I'm now trying to animate the hero, so i thought passing in the z velocity to the animator would help sort out the transforms forward motion, but i realized that Z velocity is not relating to the actual forward facing direction of my hero. The z velocity seems to only be returned as world space. This just doesn't work out for what i need.

Can anyone point me in direction of a tutorial or anything related to obtaining the forward velocity of an object regardless of which direction it is facing? Thanks in advance.

2. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Use transform.TransformVector or one of its family, it has 3 variants both for local to world and world to local.

Can also just multiply the rotation with the vector.

3. Homicide

Homicide

Hmm, i think i see what you mean and how to use. Cheers mate.

4. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Use that to transform the velocity from world space to local space and take the z axis of given vector, incase i wasn't being clear.