Search Unity

Question How to move particles dynamically with audio wave shape?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Deleted User, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

You have particle system, and the mission is to match their appearance with how the wave of audio looks like ..

Take a look at this figure to have a better understanding of the idea:

Audio Chart.png
    Audio Chart

When "Peak", particles can move faster/become bigger etc .. and the opposite for "Bottom".

- It would also be very useful to do the previous in a line/spline you set the particles to follow.

Use cases (including but not limited to):
    • Dancing/singing flies/butterflies and the like by synchronizing them exactly with the wave of sound/audio/music.
    • Useful for Film, TV, Animation & Cinematics. Particles, for example, will match the flow of wind (wind speed, intensity etc).
    • Can also be used in games to create immersive experiences. Explosions, for example, will match the impact strength of the sound wave.
    • And so much more!

Pros:
    • Precise.
    • Creates Brilliant look & feel.
    • Doesn't require setting particles directly and guessing the right scale.
    • Next generation.
    • And so much more!

Any help/guide/contribution to this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2022
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I did some research, and I found exactly what OP wants .. but it's Unreal Engine. Here's the video:

Showcase 1: Starts at 5:35, ends at 5:55

Showcase 2: Starts at 15:20, ends at 16:21

Makes me wonder if this is possible with Unity (?) .. maybe DOTS Audio/DSPGraph can do it? Let's see what other users may have to say .. :D

3. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

It's been possible since before I joined the forum, which is ages ago.
    I know that because it's the first thing I looked into when starting unity, and I found posts explaining how to do it.
    Finding out how to do it these days is as easy as searching for it, you'll come across multiple tutorials.

In your vid he's actually using spectrum data, which is something you can do.
    If you're after the shape of the waveform though, you are after the output level regardless of spectrum, which is also something you can do.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's great to hear! :)

Mind if you kindly share some of those helpful tutorials that guided your journey? I barely found anything related to this topic other than the video. Thanks. :D

5. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Deleted User likes this.