Search Unity

How to move / delete things inside a package

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by BorisTheBrave, Oct 26, 2020.

1. BorisTheBrave

BorisTheBrave

I publish a Unity Store asset that is due for an upgrade. In the latest version, I have moved around some files, deleted others.

When tested importing the package, upgrading from the old to new new version, Unity overwrote the old files with the new, but left all the old files that had been moved or deleted. This, naturally, causes errors, forcing users to delete the entire folder before importing the updated package.

How can I make this process smoother for end users.

2. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey Boris,

Apologies for the delay here. I just wanted to post to say we've not forgotten about this post. Waiting to hear back from the team before I can respond :)

3. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Hello there.

Out of curiosity, could you please confirm what version of Unity you're using?

4. BorisTheBrave

BorisTheBrave

2019.3. But I'd need support as wide as possible - I cannot tell what version users of my package will be on.

5. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

6. BorisTheBrave

BorisTheBrave

Thank you Maru. I appreciate that you got back to me rather than just dropping a difficult quesiton.

The answer is disappointing, but expected. The explanation for why though, doesn't make sense. Unity will happily overwrite files if directed by the package, so it doesn't actually offer any guarantee of safety regarding user-modifications.