Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to modify position of a collider component in the scene view?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by distastee, Feb 29, 2024.

1. distastee

distastee

I've used Unity for years but could never figure this one out:
    How do I translate a collider in the scene view interactively using a move gizmo?. Something similar to this:
    Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 1.34.57 PM.png

If I select a gameObject and start dragging the move gizmo around - it modifies the gameobject position. If I select the "Edit Collider" button on components like the capsule collider - I can only modify the radius and height but not the position.

So....yeah. Is there a way for me to do this interactively? Is manually typing values in really the only way? Is there some great script that adds this? Appreciate the help

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

A collider doesn't have its own transform. You need to change the Transform component (for authoring) which is what the move gizmo does.

Editing a collider allows you to change its geometry which doesn't include a transform. If you want it to be offset from something then it'd need to be on a child GameObject but again, you'd be modifying that child GameObject Transform again using the same gizmos.

Technically a Collider is attached to a Rigidbody but the Rigidbody (when authoring) will defer to any Transform changes too so the same thing applies.

distastee likes this.