Search Unity

How to match Camera field of view to the device camera field of view?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BooBi, Nov 5, 2015.

1. BooBi

BooBi

Hi,

I'm having an issue, by using these lines of code:
    Code (csharp):
    2. webCamTexture = new WebCamTexture();
    3.         GetComponent<Renderer>().material.mainTexture = webCamTexture;
    4.         webCamTexture.Play();
    I'm displaying the webcam content on a plane (I'm still figuring out how to fit the UVs keep the image with the good camera ratio). In front of the plane I'm manipulating a 3D cube.

My goal here is to match as close as possible the perspective of the device camera (FOV) with the Unity camera one.

I've found this: http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/40694/field-of-view-of-a-webcam
    But I'm looking for a more systematic way of calculating that. Is there a way to read the device camera FOV ?

The project is an augmented reality object placer used on Android and IOS. As there are so many android devices I need to find an automatic way to match the two FOV.

I tried to use vuforia's AR plugin, but the problem is that the perspective is still wrong. And also that Vuforia is overwriting the cam FOV and I can't prevent that apparently. (Well I'm on their forums aswel for that matter).

2. Lanre

Lanre

Hi @BooBi Instead of calculating it, you could simply ask the camera for it. NatCam supports this functionality:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Debug.Log("The camera's FOV is "+ NatCam.ActiveCamera.HorizontalFOV);