Search Unity

Question How to manually launch tests in a standalone build?

Discussion in 'Testing & Automation' started by andrew-fray, Oct 6, 2020.

1. andrew-fray

andrew-fray

Let's assume I'm not using test assemblies, and all the scenes and code I need are compiled into a build. How can I launch a test run from that build?

My workflow is that I'd like my CI server to produce a build that QA can use to verify that the automated tests pass as well as continue with more exploratory testing.There may be consoles out there that are hard to automate, so this lets us hook tests into the workflow that QA is already executing. It also gives us confidence that our tests are passing on the same binary QA are playing.

The ICallbacks/ScriptableObject approach requires editor APIs I don't have in a build.

I could use the split build/run options from the 2019 Unite video, but that means the resultant build will _only_ run tests, and never be playable for regular exploratory QA. I could then make two build artifacts, one automated and one playable, but that's extra time, storage and workflow.

Any ideas?

2. Warnecke

Warnecke

Unity Technologies

Currently we do not have any public api for kicking off a build inside the run-time, but it is something that we are aware that there are a demand and use-case for.

andrew-fray likes this.
  3. Rob_GameDriver

Rob_GameDriver