Search Unity

Question How to manipulate a shader graph enum using C#?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by ninthtale, Aug 20, 2023.

1. ninthtale

ninthtale

I have a component whose function is to control various artistic expressions of a material, but is not itself an object with that material.

What I want is an enum with various blending modes as a dropdown list, but I'm not sure how to make the code communicate with shader graph in the same way you can with global properties.

So firstly, this is what I want: a dropdown list that represents the Enum property from the shader graph:
    upload_2023-8-20_16-27-12.png

Except not exposed on the material itself, but on a separate controller object in the scene.

This is easy with floats, integers, vectors, colors, etc., as they all have predefined Shader.SetGlobal____ properties that can be called as long as you have a node with the corresponding reference ID.

Enum, on the other hand, apparently cannot be converted to a float or an integer. An Enum's list has corresponding integer values, though, so this is counterintuitive to me.

This is the code I have right now. It creates the dropdown (like in the image above) but even though I've given it the correct Reference ID _EDGEGLOWBLENDINGMODE, it doesn't seem to communicate at all with that shader graph node. I've trimmed out the unrelated portions:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    7. public class Interactor : MonoBehaviour
    8. {  
    10.     [SerializeField]
    12.     [Header("Edge Blending")]
    14.     public Material edgeGlowMaterial;
    15.     public enum BlendingMode
    16.     {
    17.         Multiply,
    18.         Add,
    19.         SubA,
    20.         SubB
    21.     }
    23.     public BlendingMode blendingMode;
    26.     private void Start()
    27.     {
    28.         int blendingModeIndex = (int)blendingMode;
    29.         edgeGlowMaterial.SetInt("_EDGEGLOWBLENDINGMODE", blendingModeIndex);
    30.     }
    31.     // Update is called once per frame
    32.     void Update()
    33.     {
    35.     }
    36. }
    I think I know why this is not working: the sort of tutorial I followed just trying to get the dropdown to appear is requiring the definition of a material at line 14; the SetInt command on line 29 is trying to set the properties of that material, which is really just irrelevant here.

But yeah, I don't know what I would need to do to connect the dropdown to the actual enum node in the shader graph. I don't know if my logic is just backwards, or if this is even possible at all..

2. Qriva

Qriva

3. ninthtale

ninthtale

Like you said, I don't think there is a way to use Int, so I'm trying to find out how I can connect my drop down list to the enum keyword via the script..

Your link to the documentation looks promising, but it's not terribly descriptive, and seems to assume a level that's yet way over my head..

4. axlvc

axlvc

as it says here https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.shadergraph@12.0/manual/Keywords.html, you need to use
    Material
    |
    Shader.EnableKeyword({REFERENCE}_{REFERENCESUFFIX})

upload_2023-11-5_19-44-25.png
    In this case, the Reference is
    _Enum
    and the Reference Suffixes are
    A
    B
    , and
    C
    . So the Keywords are
    _Enum_A
    _Enum_B
    , and
    _Enum_C
    What worked for me is to first disable the default keyword and then enabling the option you want form the enum.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Material.DisableKeyword("_Enum_A");
    2. switch (OptionToEnable) {
    3.     case 0:
    4.         Material.EnableKeyword("_Enum_A");
    5.         break;
    6.     case 1:
    7.         Material.EnableKeyword("_Enum_B");
    8.         break;
    9.     case 2:
    10.         Material.EnableKeyword("_Enum_C");
    11.         break;
    12. }
    Seeing how this question was asked all the way back in 2018, I'm probably just a little bit late with this response. But I hope this answer might help people finding this in the future.

Attached Files:

Pierre_L_F likes this.
  5. badjano

badjano

I had some problems enabling a global keyword, so if anyone is having the same issue, you need to disable the other enums, this is my code:

Code (CSharp):
    2.                var qualities = Enum.GetValues(typeof(Quality));
    4.                 foreach (Quality quality in qualities)
    5.                 {
    6.                     var keyword = "_QUALITYLEVEL_" + quality.ToString().ToUpper();
    8.                     if (quality == newQuality)
    9.                         Shader.EnableKeyword(keyword);
    10.                     else
    11.                         Shader.DisableKeyword(keyword);
    12.                 }
    Remember to use REFERENCE names, not names