Search Unity

How to manage number of characters humanoid and non-humanoid professionally ?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by m-y, Oct 23, 2019.

1. m-y

m-y

Hello All , i am working with a project that i need to pass different characters (Humanoid-non humanoid ) like
    ( Man - cat - dog -etc .... ) with different animation clips at same time
    i am trying to build professional system that can manage everything with limited number of animator controllers
    i thought about override controller , it worked but with one character on time , i can't give different animations to different characters at same time using <override controller> , so there is any other way that can help me do that ?
    or i have to go back to animator controller for every character ?
    there is any option to use override controller merge with animator controllers ?
    there is any option to add different animator controller to one override controller , every state manage specific character in the scene ?
    Hope i made everything clear , i just want options and ideas , if no i will use simple animator controllers
    thanks in advance .

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

There might not be a good say to achieve what you want using Animator Controllers, but my Animancer plugin (link in my signature) would likely be very helpful for you because it lets you avoid Animator Controllers entirely and just play whatever AnimationClips you want.

3. m-y

m-y

thanks for your answer i downloaded your free assets before purchase to test the plugin
    i didn't find any scene that manage multiple characters human and non human with different animation clip at same time

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

To be honest I'm not really sure exactly what you're trying to do. Each character is either humanoid and can use humanoid clips or the character is generic and can use generic clips. For example, in the Simple Playing scene you could add a non-humanoid character, give them the PlayAnimationOnClick script, and assign animations appropriate for that character. The script doesn't care whether it is a humanoid or generic rig.

5. m-y

m-y

upload_2019-10-23_16-18-10.png
    i am building Dynamic project that will make me able to pass every element in the scene the animation i need
    as u can in the picture
    there is spider and human , when something happen
    i will ask the human to run , and spider to jump at the same time
    i can do that using animator controllers every element with their own animator
    but i am searching for one script that can manage different elements as in the picture at the same time

6. m-y

m-y

some scenes i will have multiple elements about 5 or 6 characters at the same time
    some elements will have different animation clips than others

7. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

If you give both of those characters a PlayAnimationOnClick component from the example I mentioned, you will be able to assign an Idle and Action animation in the Inspector for each of them so that they can perform that action when you click the mouse. You could have any number of different characters with their own animations, all using the same script so that they will perform their action when you click.

If you want to do something more complex, you can write your own scripts to play whatever animations you want.