Search Unity

Question How to make tiles larger? [Tilemap Help Needed]

Discussion in '2D' started by CJMoon, Jun 6, 2020.

1. CJMoon

CJMoon

I'm trying to start out coding with my first small project, which is a little sidescroller platformer demo in 2d. I have basic movement, coin collection, and player deaths somewhat done- However I scrapped the free moving sprite map I was using earlier as I decided I wanted to move to tilemaps.

I managed to get a free asset pack and got the tileset into the tile palette tab, but when I try to paint the tiles on they are way too small and hardly take up a corner on my grid. How do I fix this? I'm an absolute beginner and this is my first day of using Unity/attempting to code, so don't assume I know what I'm doing when it comes to navigating through unity, lmao

2. jeremyseay

jeremyseay

This is likely due to your Pixels Per Unit setting on your sprites.

Make sure the sprites all have a consistent PPU value and all sprites in your tile map palette are sliced to the same size as well.

If you have say 16x16 pixel tiles on your tilemap palette, then try to add a 24x24 tile to it, the grid will now change to 24x24.

If you want to add larger assets to your palette then slice them up in the Sprite editor first.

CJMoon likes this.
  3. CJMoon

CJMoon

@jeremyseay I figured out how to change the PPU, but now I don't know how to snap it to the middle of a grid- It stays centered to the bottom left corner of each square.