Search Unity

How to make small people like cities skylines?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Xhitman, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Xhitman

Xhitman

Is it low poly 3d model , or 2d animation texture?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Why you don't check by yourself?

3. Xhitman

Xhitman

It looks like 3d model. When thousands of them walking around, why it dont have performance problem?

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Firstly they have no colliders.
    Secondly, they have texture GPU instantiation, or similar.
    And sharing probably mesh and animation.
    + there is LOD involved as well.

5. digiross

digiross

Yes, as Antypodish said....no colliders, LOD, culling, and multi-threading are your friends in ANY game. Optimize, optimize, and then optimize some more. Nothing ticks me off more than a great game that runs like bantha poodoo.

Antypodish and JoeStrout like this.
  6. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

There is YouTube series called “boundary break” where they take the camera to things in the distance. Usually models in the distance are either low poly versions of people or 2D sprites.

Mauri and Antypodish like this.
  7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

How do you size a suit? Do you guess what the individual wearing it may be like, and take lots of time to hem it before you ever see the customer?

No. You make it too large and hem it once you know exactly what needs hemming.

So beginners, please, don't get yourself overly-concerned with optimization before you have even built the game. It's just wasitng your own time.

Ryiah likes this.
  8. Xhitman

Xhitman

How about pathfinding? thousands navagent ? No performance problem?

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

You would use a custom solution rather than navmesh. If anything, you'd probably just be using a fluid simulation and positioning people based on data from that.

Antypodish likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you want to see one possible way to approach having thousands of objects moving around in a very organized manner you will want to check out the Unity MegaCity demo at Unite LA. It's the latest showcase for ECS and the JobSystem.

11. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yep I love this presentation. I watched it it few times already.
    Is amazing.

But unfortunately, ECS is not something easily reachable by beginner, without decent programming background.

12. But this is only because there are no decent tutorials yet. Otherwise it's easier than the OOD (to understand, everyone learned automatas at Math classes).

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

At higher school (equivalent college) I had something, if you referencing to Automaton Theory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automata_theory
    Not near in such form. And only because I had specialized college.
    Even then, I don't use any of it in programming.

Thats true, specially when Unity ECS is dynamically evolving.

At least for now Unity C# OOP is quite nice and friendly, in comparison to Unity ECS.

But hope the scale will shift toward ECS soon-ish.
    Until then, I wouldn't advise to start programming learning from ECS.

14. Wow. In Hungary I learned this in High School... that's why I thought that everyone knows what an automata is in Math. The DOD basically based on the same theory. Every System (in ECS) is an Automata you chain them together to crunch numbers. And basically you set the states with Components.

Whatever, it's not too useful then, I just thought I found something which almost everyone can recognize and relate to, because it was part of the Math, apparently not. :D Sorry about that. Anyway.

I'm pretty sure it will. I wouldn't start with OOP as of now if I were a complete beginner, I would start with DOD basics instead. Okay, maybe some very basic MonoBehaviours, just to be familiar with the basic component attaching stuff.

15. Antypodish

Antypodish

Not to worry. I finding flowing correlation.
    Further East you go the better education primary-high school education. While toward west, further you go, weaker it is.
    However, seams opposite in respect Universities. That is probably do to more practical opportunities in western countries.
    Can not say much about colleges, but I would assume somehow overlapping.

Thing is, with current ECS, you still need OOP knowledge, as lot of APIs relies on it.
    Or otherwise need solid mathematical background and time, to develop own for example collision system. Where most beginners wont have it.
    Therefore, we got classic OOP, Hybrid and Pure ECS, to subsidies these holes.

If not for ECS and Job Systems I wouldn't be bother about DOD, while OOP provides very convenient referencing to objects. And got strings for naming, or even dictionary hashing ;)
    Yes yes, ECS dev team is working also on string system for ECS. :cool:

Lurking-Ninja likes this.