Search Unity

How to make pre-recorded character movements, then have them playout during a scene.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by wpeay, Jun 11, 2018.

1. wpeay

wpeay

What I mean by this: During runtime, with a rigged character model that has walking/running/idle animations, move the character around the environment for maybe a minute or two. Then, save that transform cycle to be reused as any other asset.

I'll try to reexplain what I'm going for:

The character asset has been rigged for animation. It has an Idle/Walk/Run cycle with a script for manual character movement. I want to be able to record myself walking this character around and save that movement for use latter. Another example, a developer manually driving a car during a cutscene for a more custom look instead of scripting the movement out.

A visual example would be: During Halo Reach initial cutscene(
    ), one of the developers was manually driving the warthog.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I have not attempted anything like this before, but possibly the character could 'drop' navigation points while manually controlled. Then - later - the character could be 'plotted' with the navigation points with the navmesh agent. ??

I don't see the benefit of the in-game manual control/recording of the vehicle example. I'd set that up in 3D and record the movements - then import it in-game for the cut scene or in-game scripted sequence. However - this is probably a bias point of view as an experienced animator for animating externally, with the benefit of non real-time systems/software.

3. chelnok

chelnok