Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you couldn't join the live stream, take a peek at what you missed.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make pre-recorded character movements, then have them playout during a scene.

Discussion in 'Animation' started by wpeay, Jun 11, 2018.

1. wpeay

wpeay

What I mean by this: During runtime, with a rigged character model that has walking/running/idle animations, move the character around the environment for maybe a minute or two. Then, save that transform cycle to be reused as any other asset.

I'll try to reexplain what I'm going for:

The character asset has been rigged for animation. It has an Idle/Walk/Run cycle with a script for manual character movement. I want to be able to record myself walking this character around and save that movement for use latter. Another example, a developer manually driving a car during a cutscene for a more custom look instead of scripting the movement out.

A visual example would be: During Halo Reach initial cutscene(
    ), one of the developers was manually driving the warthog.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I have not attempted anything like this before, but possibly the character could 'drop' navigation points while manually controlled. Then - later - the character could be 'plotted' with the navigation points with the navmesh agent. ??

I don't see the benefit of the in-game manual control/recording of the vehicle example. I'd set that up in 3D and record the movements - then import it in-game for the cut scene or in-game scripted sequence. However - this is probably a bias point of view as an experienced animator for animating externally, with the benefit of non real-time systems/software.

3. chelnok

chelnok