Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make Plane Handle mode work for Vertices and Edge?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by zoltanBorbas, Aug 9, 2018.

1. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

I am struggling to work with anything that is not a simple plane if the local rotation of the edge or the vertex is not coincides with the local rotation of the face it is attached to.
    upload_2018-8-9_18-13-30.png

It is very easy to move this edges along side the face because the object is not been bended or rotated, it is a simple cube with its face subdivided.

upload_2018-8-9_18-19-11.png

However as soon as the same cube bended at its corners (same case when its local rotation changed) any edge or vertex in plane handle mode is defaulting to the what ever the local mode provides as shown bellow.

upload_2018-8-9_18-23-28.png

Is there any way to manually align the handle(gizmo). It is quite a common practice to shape objects made from a cube via manipulating its edges/vertexes by moving them along the connecting faces as shown in the first picture which becomes impossible as soon as the handle rotated in ways where the single axis movement takes the edge/vertex away from the connecting face.

Am i doing something wrong? Is there some settings that would help?

I will appreciate any helpful comment.

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, sorry for the late reply! Unfortunately this is no option for this yet, but it's high on our list. Agreed, it's a fundamental tool for modeling (I use it every day in 3ds max...). I can't promise any time/etc, but we know it's needed.

3. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Hi thank you for the reply! As i was just starting to model with probuilder i was hoping i was doing something wrong. I will look out for future updates and in the mean time i try to do these kind of modelling actions before i do any rotation, that way the handle's world or local mode usually matching the direction i need to be going for.

Kind regards!

Skorcho likes this.
  4. Skorcho

Skorcho

any news on moving a vertex along an edge?