Search Unity

How to make Oculus Rift games without having an Oculus Rift.

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by TheWgames, Oct 15, 2015.

1. TheWgames

TheWgames

Hey,
    I am developing a game in Unity5 on my macbook and I'm wondering if and how it's possible to export Oculus Rift games to mac and windows. I have installed the plugin, and can place the fps character, but that's about all. I can't get it to work and export the oculus executable.

Help would be appreciated!

2. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

Have you downloaded the oculus utilities for Unity 5?

If not, download the package import it into unity and then work with the OVRCharacter prefab.

As far as I know the Windows executable displays on the screen AND to the rift.

I have a rift and I just build the game like normal. Then when I play it I see it on the screen and in the headset.

I don't think there's a way to "fake" the Input from the rift so you can't simulate head tracking.

3. IsaacChan

IsaacChan

Which version of Unity are you using?
    I am using Unity5 free and cannot see any different on my screen after import the OVRCharacter prefab.

4. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

I am using Unity 5.2 free. What are you expecting to see? I'm not sure I understand your question.

5. TheWgames

TheWgames

Well, I have imported the oculus utilities, and placed the oculus fps controller. Does this mean that if I export the scene to a windows executable, somebody with an oculus rift will be able to play it?

6. SniperEvan

SniperEvan

Yeah it should. Make sure you have Virtual Reality enabled on the player settings.