Search Unity

How to make models?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by YB90, Feb 11, 2017.

1. YB90

YB90

Sorry for the noob question. I've just started using Unity and i'm trying to make an endless runner game following a tutorial.
    I think i've hit a roadblock now, he's started to use assets from a package and I want to create my own character model and environments.

I'm still learning everything but assets are just basically the word for objects in the games environment? So does everyone who uses unity download a package and use the same or similar assets to make a game?
    Also how do you make your own character then? I've tried researching and I find that you have to download blender and 3D sculpt your character. Is that the only way? Or can you download a model from an asset and somehow edit it?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

No. Assets is an item used by your game. Sound, texture, models, even text files can be assets.

No, a lot of people make their own stuff.

You use any 3d modeling software that can output any file format unity can understand.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/3D-formats.html

Blender 3d, 3dsmax, maya, etc.

No, you can also use polygonal modeling. If you never modeled before sculpting your game characcter will be more difficult, because resulting sculpted character will have huge number of polygons and will not be really usable in the game without additional extra steps.

You can, if your modeling software supports whatever format used by the model (blender has a lot of trouble reading fbx files), however, if you downloaded asset from the asset store, you will not be allowed redistribute modified version of the asset outside of the game, due to licensing restrictions.

Another option to make a character would be makehuman, although you'll probably need to make clothes. Daz3d and poser supposedly can be used to generate characters as well, but they require additional gamedev license, which costs money. There was also morph3d asset on the unity asset store.

3. YB90

YB90

Thanks for the reply! Very informative for a beginner like me.
    I'll check out everything you mentioned.

4. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

You can make your characters with free softwares like MakeHuman

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  5. rewar281

rewar281

I followed the same tut and used alternative free assets, while they didn't look anything alike the game still worked great you just have to make your own calculations in the differences. Modeling is a whole different beast than just programming games and it's not something you pick up in an hour or so to achieve good results. For the sake of the tutorial you can just use the primitives that come with unity to create your road/trail segments and maybe use ethan if you don't have access to free models or whatever. Here was my first try

6. nplus

nplus

AngryBriarRabbit and Chokoreto like this.
  7. FantaF

FantaF

wow you help me more than the guy that asked the question xD

8. PrateekPanwar

PrateekPanwar

Lean Blender, It's free and tutorials like blender guru can make you learn make a donut yourself

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  9. Syedmeesamali

Syedmeesamali

Any place to get some nice humanoids/android or other character models for free?

10. KingRedMaeday

KingRedMaeday

Does anybody kno how to mak a bed, not a character