Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make low poly forest but to look good

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by bg_argonaut, Oct 17, 2021.

1. bg_argonaut

bg_argonaut

Hello
    I intend to create for my 3d platformer game a dense forest but to look realistic.
    The character has to walk on a path rounded by both sides of dense forest. He will be not able to go into the forest.
    I saw some old games by the '90s, where the jungle looks really good and is low poly.
    The game is Moto racer 2 for PS1 - see the level "Lost Jungle" from 9:00 to 11:00.

According to me, it looks better than this low poly forest (for example):
    https://img-new.cgtrader.com/items/...ack-2-3d-model-low-poly-obj-fbx-blend-mtl.jpg
    For the need of the game that I intend to make, it is necessary the sky be not visible.
    Above the path is have to be a sky of leaves, so that the forest to be in dark. It has to look something like this beech forest:
    https://img-cdn.dnes.bg/d/images/photos/0276/0000276619-article2.jpg
    Any idea how can I make it?

2. There is a technique called impostors, you can find free or paid (but more convenient) systems if you look for them. The basic idea behind it is this: take a high poly object, make screenshots of it from all angles and show it on a low poly object later. It will appear as a high poly object. You also can do it with a group of objects together.
    Since you're planning with limited mobility and visibility, I think this could work very well.

As an example here is my favorite implementation: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/amplify-impostors-119877

3. bg_argonaut

bg_argonaut

Thanks for the answer. I think with these impostors it is too complicated. Exactly in this game, that I posted, there are used much more simple techniques. Near the road, there are low poly trees and bushes. The leaves are just one painted plain. Behind the trees, in the background, there is also one painted plane, and are drawn trees and bushes on it. Exactly this is what I want to do.
    I need to make the sky to be also one painted plain, with drawn leaves. But it is also necessary, this plain to be some kind transparent so that the light goes through it, and the forest to look shady. Is it possible, and is there anywhere to be seen more about this technique, or any video tutorial for something like this?

4. SuperDK7

SuperDK7

I read that the best technique is to place a photo of the background and then 1 or 2 tree objects in front of it. If the background looks real enough then the players cannot tell it is a photo\jpg and not objects. I have no idea how to implement this as I am brand new to Unity. Users have done this with forest and mountains.