Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make it impossible for anybody to extract my game data?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Crossway, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Crossway

Crossway

Hi there. It's been over 8 years I'm creating a game and now I'm going to release that game for 5$. But I hate any dirty hands touch my game data like plugins I've made for my game. 3d Models. My camera post processing effects and other data. Is there any way?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

There is no 100% way, to secure your data. You could to certain extent. But that at most.
    You should be happy, if anyone would even put effort, to attempt extract data from your game.
    That means, game gained some visibility and traction. Until then, I suggest don't bother.
    Otherwise, wasting precious time on fighting with unknown, for little to no gain.

3. Crossway

Crossway

No I won't be happy if anybody extract what I've spend 8 years to create :(

Please open the below links it seems it's very easy to extract unity games data.
    http://devxdevelopment.com/UnityUnpacker

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Do you consider your game is even worth effort, even is not there yet?
    What makes you think, your game assets are any batter, than many games out there?

Publish product, then look for potential product, using your asset. Then you can report take down.
    That of course, if you consider this worthwhile effort.

If you want better protection, then generate your asset procedurally.
    Keep continuous updates, so people are engaged and wanting to having latest verision, rather than old cracked version.
    Also, look on asset store, for some solutions. There were some code scramblers.
    You could also, encrypt asset, with some custom key, then decrypt at runtime. Neither 100%. Just add some extra wall to pass through. And time sink for you, to develop. Not to mention game need decrypt this too, so is potentially resource incentive. Depending on size and number of assets. However, key is stored in the game, so can be found and decrypted.

But really, focus on building community and game popularity, than some randomer grabbing your assets.
    You can also consider selling assets. So you share asset with additional benefits, if you consider them to be good.
    Good assets will be bought.

Crossway likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Compiling with IL2CPP makes you code more difficult to get at than using Mono, but your assets aren't going to be safe. No matter what you do to protect your assets, you are including the keys to unlock them with the game, so someone skilled enough will always be able to eventually crack it. If you make it extremely difficult you might just be encouraging attempts to get at it, taking it as a personal challenge.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you try it on your own game? Does it really work?