Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved How to Make Instant Animation Change with No Frames In-Between?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Koaske, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Koaske

Koaske

I'm using Animator.Play() to change the animations of a character (I'm not using any triggers), but it would seem that after the Play() function is called, the old animation (the one used before the call) will still be drawn on the screen for a duration of one more frame before the new animation starts playing.

Is there any way to make the switch to the new animation instantaneous, with no frames in-between?

I've tried placing these Play() calls to different places, such as Update, LateUpdate and FixedUpdate, but none of that seems to have fixed the problem.

Note that I'm not using transitions, as there's no need for blending animations in any way.

2. Oir_the_tentacular

Oir_the_tentacular

You can use transitions but disable "Has Exit Time" and set "Transition Duration" to 0. This will change between your animations instantly without any blending animation and will also fix the issue of stuttering on the previous animation for a frame before going to the next animation.

3. Koaske

Koaske

Thanks for your input. I tried your method, but it looks like this didn't really have any effect on the instant changing.

I realized that the issue was that there was a lot of calculating being done in coroutines that affected which animation state should be played. Since animation updates are executed after coroutines, using Update() using that for the animation calls was too early, and LateUpdate() was too late, as this comes after the animation updates.

I put the animation update code to end of a coroutine, which made the necessary updates just before the internal animation updates.