Search Unity

How to make GI work with Point Lights and Spot Lights??

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by vincekieft, Mar 19, 2015.

1. vincekieft

vincekieft

Hello,

I am developing a horror game.
    The enviroment i am working on is inside so a directional light would not work.
    Thats why i want to use a spot light or a point light.
    BUT i cant figgure out how to use the spotlight with GI?
    When i tweak the bounce intensity it doesnt do anything and thats the same for al the other GI settings??
    What am i doing wrong? Can somebody tell me how they use GI with spotlights?

Greethings Vince Kieft.

2. Cynicat

Cynicat

Start with the basics:
    Check the lights GI Mode
    Check that pre-computed realtime GI is on in the lighting window.
    Check that your scene objects are marked as static(lightmap static at least).
    Check that the shader you are using has been properly updated to unity 5(non-surface shaders i think need a meta pass to describe how they should be lit by GI).

if you still have problems then you should post some more info and i'll see if i can help =3

3. vincekieft

vincekieft

Thanks for the info. Ill check it as soon as possible :) if you have any more info plz tell me

4. vincekieft

vincekieft

BTW the lights GI mode was set to Realtime. And do i Need a reflection probe?
    And do you have any more tips for me to make my lightning more realistic?
    And tips with image effects or other rendering tips and tricks?

5. Cynicat

Cynicat

there isn't a 'right' way to do most of this stuff. it depends on your style. if your making a horror game(dirty, dark, grungy) your are going to need some tone mapping + HDR. this gives the camera more color space which can then be adjusted like a real camera(exposure, color grading, etc...). it has different settings depending on what you want. do you plan to control exposure with a script(triggers for example?) do you want to use adaptive so it auto adjusts(it will generally try to make your scenes visible. might not be what you want in a horror game)?

as for realism. its a buzzword. it doesn't mean anything. no good game aims for 'realism'. they aim to look good. take battlefield for example, its touted as a super-realistic, gritty, authentic game. with realism on the side. yet this is the game that popularized lens dirt. why? it looks pretty and players will believe almost anything you tell them. they get lens flares and lens dirt and bokeh depth of field and say "How realistic!". unless you are a living camera this is not true. however... it looks... awesome... realism isn't something you should worry about. just worry about looking good.

vincekieft likes this.