Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make gameobject always look at (AR-)camera? (billboard)

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by MKrohn, May 18, 2018.

1. MKrohn

MKrohn

Hi,

I intend to have a number of billboards that always face the camera. Unfortunately, the ARCamera-object does not move at all in world space, so I cannot use its transform for calculations. Does anybody know how to get the world space position and orientation of the device camera? Or better yet, has anyone already accomplished billboards with Vuforia?
    So far, I'm a little lost googling and browsing the documentation.

2. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

If you set the World Center Mode to Camera on the Vuforia Configuration, the ARCamera will always be at 0,0,0. You can then rotate any objects in your world to point towards the camera to make them always be looking at the ARCamera.

Amin- and MKrohn like this.
  3. MKrohn

MKrohn

Yes!! That worked! Thank you very much!

Vuforia-Strasza likes this.
  4. adrianov

adrianov

I've got a shader handling billboarding for me, and it works fine in the editor, but not when I build, the default facing direction is offset somehow. I'm trying to see if this solution would help resolve my issue as well, but when I check the options for World Center Mode, I don't have the "Camera" option; the options I see are SPECIFIC_TARGET, FIRST_TARGET, or DEVICE. Am I missing something?

5. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @adrianov,

CAMERA is an old option. In 7.5/8.0 we now have DEVICE. If you want to use 6DOF tracking (ARKit and HoloLens for example), DEVICE is the correct one.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

6. jenewari_ela

jenewari_ela

Please i can't find AR Camera from the GameObject drop down menu...help please

7. meedabit

meedabit

Hello @jenewari_ela,

Make sure you've enabled Vuforia Engine in your project: File->Build Settings...->Player Settings...->XR Settings->Vuforia Augmented Reality Support (checked)

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

8. dinnaaa

dinnaaa

Do i have to tag the camera to the object or anything like that? This doesn't seem to work for me.

9. GreenJuicePowers13

GreenJuicePowers13

Ok, but now we all looking for the free option with ARFoundation. Vuforia is a S*** load expensive for all of us to get. Anybody know how to do it via arfoundation?