Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make basic Spell FX ?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Hoshiqua, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Hoshiqua

Hoshiqua

I am currently working on a game where the main character aswell as one of the enemy types are able to cast spells. Right now they do not have any visuals - which of course if a problem. When I go and look at other games that feature spell effects for inspiration, what I notice is that I don't quite understand how it is made - I know how to use Unity particle systems (at least the basics) and I also know how to make my own 3D graphics, but I fail to see how these two could achieve what you can see for example in this video :

Obviously, I don't expect you can make effects that look THAT good without tons of experience and also the right platform - I'm developing on Android so of course what I could reasonably make is limited.

Thing is, I failed to find any somewhat comprehensive guide on how to make such effects that could get me "settled in" so that afterwards I knew where to look, what to work on to make better looking, custom ones.

So if any of you know anything about making these I'm really all ears - even just a few lines to point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot, in advance !

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

I generally prefer to learn by example, so other than the obvious advice of reading the manual for Unity's particle system, It might be helpful to look at their free pack:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/tutorial-projects/unity-particle-pack-127325

Then you can look at all of the source files and see how they are made. You can see what parameters are filled-in for the particle system components, the shaders, sprites used and what not. Once you see how some of them are done, it might help you to figure out how to make your own effects.

richardkettlewell likes this.