Search Unity

How to make Auto game version update?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by leegod, Sep 17, 2012.

1. leegod

leegod

Lets say I released some windows standalone game, and it has multiplay.

And later, if I add contents or update to my game, how can game users automatically download it and update their game client when log in to my game's multiplay server?

I using Unity Pro, and is there a function for implement this(versioning, auto updating)?

Thanks.

2. ShadoX

ShadoX

Usually it's better to search around before posting, but oh well... this might be something you are looking for.. another suggestion I saw not too long ago was to make your own game launcher and have it check for updates..

3. TheMagzuz

TheMagzuz

The link on the page just leads to the home page of the unity assest store

4. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Quote by the Publisher of the asset :

5. Wulirocks

Wulirocks

6. pdwitte

pdwitte

7. Rugbug_Redfern

Rugbug_Redfern

The link doesn't exist anymore :(

EDIT: I made a tool which does this (for free)! You can scroll down to see my reply about it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    AmazinJacks likes this.
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Well since pdwitte last logged in the same day as that 3 year old comment, don't hold your breath.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

nobluff67 likes this.
  10. nobluff67

nobluff67

11. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

Why does unity not yet have an efficient way to update the contents of a game directly within the game itself? What comes closest to this is the asset bundle, but it is not so useful when we want to modify a few lines of a script.

12. Rugbug_Redfern

Rugbug_Redfern

If anyone is still looking for a simple solution to this, I made a free tool which lets you set up simple automatic updating in less than 10 minutes. It uses .NET Core with WPF and runs on Windows computers perfectly. It can also be ported to Mac and Linux quite easily but you will need a different UI library or just run it as a console application.

If you don't want a full automatic updater, and would rather just notify the user when an update is available, I've found Unity Remote Settings to not work very well at all. I've actually found that just hosting a json file on github and using UnityWebRequest to get it at runtime and check the values works quite well, and I've been using it for my games for a while.

TheAshenWolf, j1221j and FernandoMK like this.
  13. LadyDeathKZN

LadyDeathKZN

Thank you for the tool, I've tested it and it works great. I am wondering if there is a way to integrate the config.txt file so that users do not have access to this?

I have tried several tutorials to create a launcher, including one directly inside unity and I am so fed up with the stuff not working. From using google drive with the download url generator to posts that are from 2013. A proper tutorial on this would be really good, especially one that is up to date, and a user can follow to create their own custom launchers with updaters.

14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Remote Config allows you to do just this. You make one change on your server, and all your clients are updated.

LadyDeathKZN likes this.