Search Unity

how to make Addressable Asset System update patch

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by MarsZhouCN, Nov 2, 2018.

1. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Hi!
    How to use the Addressable Asset System to make a difference update patch for resources? Is to use the addressables_content_state.bin mentioned in the Content update workflow? If so, is this generated and can only be generated by the build player?
    Both the Addressables Manual and the Addressable Asset System - Getting Started have been seen before, and DEMO has tried, but the descriptions and operations are not clear enough.

2. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Waiting for you , guys~

Opeth001 likes this.
  3. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

Waiting

Opeth001 likes this.
  4. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

keep waiting

Opeth001 likes this.
  5. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

I AM WAITING

emerge-sjh, RakNet, pokruchin and 2 others like this.
  6. rachelgarza

rachelgarza

Unity Technologies

7. MarsZhouCN

MarsZhouCN

thx

8. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

Has this actually worked for anyone? I get a NullReference when I select the bin on "Prepare for Update" and "Build for Update" does not really seem to work.

Might be a bug in the current version, but I really liked to know if anyone got a flawless workflow for this.

Update: Fixed the NullReference by adding a ContentUpdateSchema, but still not sure how to properly update assets without shipping a new build. The old build always loads the old bundle and a new build can't find the old bundles.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  9. tswierkot

tswierkot

Did you watch the latesta Unite LA talk on Adressables?

10. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@tswierkot I did multiple times and followed it step by step, but the update window is empty for many different changes (adding new addressables, removing addressables, changing scene content, rebaking, changing scriptable objects, changing prefabs, ...) and as posted the new bundles are not loaded by the old build and are only loaded when I make a full new builld while the old bundles are not loaded by a new build.

Did you - or just anyone else - actually manage to reproduce in 0.5.2 what was shown in the video (in a real project)? Especially when addressable scenes are updated.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  11. AAK_Lebanon

AAK_Lebanon

I am using the latest version for now 0.5.3 and yes the update window is empty for many different changes and the video mentioned talk about a feature that it is broken ... I hope that we can get an update soon and it seems that no one is answering us when we ask about the content update...

MNNoxMortem likes this.
  12. MNNoxMortem

MNNoxMortem

@AAK_Lebanon the reason no one answers is likely because there are not many people working at Unity over the holidays. It should slowly become better now.

AAK_Lebanon likes this.
  13. chanon81

chanon81

No offense to anyone, but I would just like to say that having to watch a 46 minute talk, just to learn how to use Addressables is crazy. And yes, even watching it multiple times doesn't help when things don't work.

What we need is better documentation, working example projects, step by step tutorials to create example projects, best practices guide, troubleshooting guide for common errors/gotchas and solutions etc.

Also, maybe a more streamlined ui/ux.

And also answers to forum questions like this one.

Maybe Unity should put some more people on this sub-project to help out. Loading, bundling, updating assets I think it is a vital part of the engine.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  14. unity_bill

unity_bill

agreed. it's on the list. we're working on the docs, and are in-progress on a public github project that would provide simple examples of usage.

feel free to make suggestions (ideally in a thread about that thing, not just cramming more into this thread).

As to this thread, I've somewhat lost exactly what's being asked. If it's a workflow question, then posting the exact steps taken, and where things seem to go off the rails would help. If it's a bug, then opening an actual Unity bug report would be the most useful (and attaching your project, and posting the bug number here).

Thanks.
    -Bill

15. lejean

lejean

I'm also trying to make this work, but it doesn't make much sense.
    I uploaded the serverdata to my website.
    I build the game, run it and a addressable cube gets instantiated.

I don't understand how to make changes tho.
    When I do "Prepare for content update" I'm supposed to "select the build folder of a player build" according to the unity docs, but it's asking for a bin file.

There is no bin file in my player build folder unlike the guy in the video.
    I can find a "addressables_content_state.bin" in the editor tho.

What am I supposed to do with "addressables_content_state.bin"?

Also how are you supposed to push updates on a windows build if you need to select that bin file in the build folder every time?

16. jeanluch_playtika

jeanluch_playtika

@lejean - The bin file you mention contains information about the state of the project at build time for a player. This helps unity later when you do a 'Content Update' to warn you about potential issues with the update.

This makes sense since players in the wild are immutable and this functionality helps you identify content update issues at build time rather than run-time. e.g a monobehavior changed in the content update that is referenced by an addressable prefab, this would warn you about this because the change in monobehavior is not part of content/addressable. This could cause unexpected results when deployed players get the content update as the loaded monobehavior on the updated prefab is in fact the old script on the player (not the updated one in your content update).

Because of these potential dependency issues, Unity will generate the bin file when the player is built (most likely 1 bin for each BuildTarget) to record this information. I'm not quite sure yet how the client knows how to find the new remote catalog name (this info might be on the bin file as well for the content update step to name the catalog properly).

The prepare step is a validation on the bin file with the updated content. This will resolve package schema issues and give you time to make other changes before a content build. e.g. a static local/remote group asset update will be moved to a new groups. Perhaps this link will help understand a bit more about it: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...manual/AddressableAssetsDevelopmentCycle.html
    Check out the 'Prepare for content update' section.

Hopefully this helps you understand a bit more about how it works and why the bin file is relevant. I'm no expert on the subject yet but am learning :) anyone feel free to correct me.

17. rabishan-maharjan

rabishan-maharjan

i'm stuck too. remote update is not showing up on build version but it shows up on editor mode(while selecting "use existing build"). also when i do "check for content update restriction" nothing shows up there even after i modified the addressable assets.

Edit: i'm using 1.13.1 version for addressables and unity 2020.1.2

18. lejean

lejean

I got it working by following this tutorial on gamasutra

Only I'm not sure about 1 thing.
    The content that gets remote loaded in your build through addressables gets downloaded locally too right?
    You don't have too download the same assets every time you launch even if nothing changed since last time?

Edit: nvm use asset cache wasnt checked

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    jeanluch_playtika likes this.