Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make adaptive games????

Discussion in 'AI & Navigation Previews' started by fabiomodesto, Jan 16, 2017.

1. fabiomodesto

fabiomodesto

I'm making a children's game that is based on a mosaic, where it has assemble the figure in a certain time. My idea is if she can not, as what against the game is time, is to create a structure of adaptation of the game, to make it easier, for example to increase the time.
    Could someone give me a hint how to do this or if there is any tool to do this.

2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Adaptive difficulty depends on your game loop and the audience. Seems like your game is an old school puzzle (mosaic) so the only failure condition is to not meet the timeLimit. if it were geared towards adults, I'd say if (gameover) timeLimit *= 1.5f should be enough as long as you provide the proper visual feedback that they got a bonus for being such losers.
    Now since your game is for children, that's another story, in fact it's much simpler to implement: you don't. You remove all failure condition and time limit. You want to do this because if you teach a kid pattern matching it's a form of dumbing down and brainwashing that there is only one solution to everything, on top of that if you pressure them with time, you teach them scarcity. So, before you go all adaptive on the world of children's game, ask yourself "do I want to cause suffering?"

PS: This is not the right forum for this type of question, go there instead https://forum.unity3d.com/forums/game-design.71/

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    fabiomodesto likes this.
  3. fabiomodesto

fabiomodesto

Thank you for your laurentlavigne return.

I'll try to go into more detail and maybe you can give me an orientation (outside of what you've already done).
    Another game option is to use colored pieces in a scenario that is a rug and a board, and the kids have to wear them on the board. I'm using Piaget's theory for preoperative development. There is a basic level that is the starting point for all players, according to the hit or error the idea is to make the fazes become more difficult or easier and so the game will classify if the player is at the level easy, medium or difficult Every time you enter the game.
    Of course also some kind of flag as clues and graphical indications of what he has to do. What metric of failure condition would you propose me.