Search Unity

How to make AAA graphics in Unity/Enlighten

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Billy4184, May 18, 2017.

1. Stardog

Stardog

Here are some photoscanned models dumped into a scene. Obviously the models aren't perfect - ground strones have weird bad flat faces, and some models are scaled too big with no detail map, so the texture blurs. And the mipmap sharpening was too much.

test_003.PNG test_004.PNG test_002.PNG test_001.PNG

With some good models, you could easily make a game that looks almost as good as Battlefront/Battlefield 1. Battlefront used very few props spammed around, like in the above images there is only one rock scaled/rotated.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Sorry, but to me at least it looks more vanilla Skyrim than it does BF.. It obviously can be done though, the Adam demo proves it can (which was mainly a lot of megascans / quixel).. Although there's obviously more to it than simply dumping photoscanned objects into a scene..

Technical artists will be pleased about that..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2017
  3. frosted

frosted

those rocks look way better than vanilla skyrim man.

i don't think it will come as a big surprise to anyone that using very high detail textures and meshes can produce high quality visuals.

even with "here's a pile of stuff" composition, it still looks good.

4. Billy4184

Billy4184

This is an example of how great models/textures in not-so-good lighting looks like ... well, great models/textures in not-so-good lighting.

I'm still very interested in how to make Unity look as good as possible, and with plenty of handiwork it can look pretty good, but for now I have pretty much given up trying to convince myself or anyone else on the topic of whether it can look quite as good as some other engines, at least not without patching in a different lighting solution.

Deleted User likes this.
  5. Elzean

Elzean

iamthwee, Lex4art and Peter77 like this.
  6. zenGarden

zenGarden

This looks good , does this needs new shaders version to replace the standard shader ?
    The easy setup and instant good results reminds me UE4 default settings lol (Unity should propose such best graphics pre made set up by default for desktop games projects).

7. iamthwee

iamthwee

But where's the support for my mac mini even eye adaption doesn't work with the new post effects stack :(

8. Elzean

Elzean

It doesn't need any shader, it's mostly a preset for light and postprocess, it also use one free volumetric light solution from the forum too.

zenGarden likes this.
  9. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Bumping an old thread here, but I was reminded of this just now while reading through a GDC presentation from Dice on how they lit Battlefront 2 using Enlighten: https://media.contentapi.ea.com/con...-precomputedgiobalilluminationinfrostbite.pdf

Page 6 onwards is the relevant part. Turns out that it is quite practical, since baking the lighting using low detail versions of the environment meshes is exactly what they did (although they do mention the large artist workload involved). Main difference is that instead of baking into probes they bake lightmaps and then reproject the lowpoly baked lighting information onto the higher detail meshes.

Lex4art likes this.
  10. NJC92

NJC92

I'd like to see the full video, could you please share the link?