Search Unity

How to make a tile asset in v2020.3

Discussion in '2D' started by Ryn2, Nov 13, 2022.

1. Ryn2

Ryn2

I'm trying to follow a beginner's tutorial on making a 2d game and it's saying I need to make a tile asset with Create > Tile,but I'm using the 2020 version of Unity and I don't see any options for "Tile".What should I do instead?

2. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Hi, you should drag and drop your Sprite asset onto a Tile Palette for it to generate a Tile asset. Let us know if that works out for you!

3. Ryn2

Ryn2

Hi,sorry I took so long to respond,but I'm trying to drag and drop the sprite into a tile palette, but Unity simply isn't letting it in.Is there any kind of directions I need to follow for adding sprites to palettes? (and just for specfication,I'm trying to put the sprite into a rectangular palette).

4. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Could you share if there are any errors in the console when you try to drag a Sprite Asset into the Tile Palette?

Just to clarify, a Sprite Asset would normally be a Sub-Asset of a Texture Asset in your Project window. Dragging in the Texture Asset would work as well. Dragging in a GameObject with a SpriteRenderer from the scene, or a Prefab with a SpriteRenderer would not work for this, since they are not considered as Sprites.