Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make a scenario-based game ?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by flo62134, Nov 12, 2017.

1. flo62134

flo62134

Hi everyone !

First of all, I'm quite new to Unity and I would like to have some advice from experimented Untiy users.

For a school project, my team has to make a 2D game based on story.
    The goal is to have a short story, composed of five scenes.
    The scenes do not have a precise order : scene B can be showed to the player before scene A for example. (Actually, the player chooses the order of the scenes at the beginning of the game)

In a scene, there are two characters.
    The background of a scene is always the same and the camera won't move during the scene.
    The two characters can interact with the items around them. For example, they can move, use a hammer, hide behind a bush...
    The two characters aren't directly controlled by the player. To be more precise, it's more like a cutscene : we can only watch the characters evolve in the environment.

There are some dialogues that are the core of the project.
    Dialogues are highly connected with animations.
    Actually, a scene is like a mini interactive movie, but with clickable dialogues that make the game run.
    During a scene, the player is asked a score to give (between 1 and 10) and the result will have consequences on the scenario. The last part of the scene will be different whether or not the player gave a good rating.

The problem is that we don't reallly know how to make this the proper way.
    How can we integrate these animations ? What is the best way to store them ?
    There must be a lot of scenes at the end of the project and the goal is to keep the project clear and understandable for someone that is not part of the team.

We thought of having the scenarios stored in a database and the animations could be run by our game with a script.

I've had a look at the Timeline tool but I'm not sure whether or not it really is for this kind of uses.

What would you recommend ?
    Do not hesitate to ask multiple questions to have further details, I tried to keep it simple.

Thanks a lot for your help !

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Welcome to Unity!

Your team can do this, but it will be very, very difficult to complete as a first project. While this project will use animation, there are many other parts to it, such as the dialogue interface, the score system, etc. Consider starting with a much simpler project first.

The first step is to visit the Learn section. Then check out the 2D Game Creation section. The Tutorials section has projects that you can build by following step-by-step videos. After you complete a few of these, you'll have a much better idea of what your team can finish in the time they have.

3. flo62134

flo62134

Don't worry, we are in our last year of engineering school and we've practiced on Unity before starting the project.
    We also are good with C# because we learnt it some years ago.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Great! I think the topic is more than can be answered in a single thread. But here are some thoughts on specific questions in your post.

Make general-purpose, reusable animations. Then put them together in Timeline sequences to perform specific actions such as using a hammer or hiding behind a bush. For example, the "hiding behind a bush" sequence could play a walking animation to move the character behind the bush, and then play a crouching animation, possibly with a leaf-rustling audio clip. Since each sequence will apply to a specific scene, store it in a subfolder with the scene.

Write a ScriptableObject class, and create ScriptableObject assets for each scene that contains a list of actions, where each action has dialogue information and points to a Timeline sequence.

theANMATOR2b likes this.