Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

How to make a rendering manager in Unity?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by NicholasFrancis, Jul 16, 2013.

1. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Ok, so I've now tried a bunch of different things, and I've come to an impassé: What is the best way of creating a manager in Unity?

Let's say (for the sake of argument) that I'm making my own HaloManager. It builds a mesh of halos and renders them use Graphics.DrawMesh. I have some halos in the scene that adds themselves to the HaloManager in OnEnable. The HaloManager is a component living on some game object.

Idea 1: use LateUpdate [ExecuteInEditMode]
    This more-or-less works, except:
    1a) When the scripts get reloaded, no call to LateUpdate is being made. So until I move some object (or otherwise change the scene), I get no halos on-screen.
    1b) When the game is paused, no calls to LateUpdate is being done either, so any tweaks done during a paused game don't get shown by my manager until I resume playing.

Idea 2: Get the initial update for the halos by using HaloManager.OnEnable
    Basically I would introduce void OnEnable () { LateUpdate (); } into my HaloManager. Use Script Execution order to make sure that my Halo_OnEnable was called before HaloManager.OnEnable. Helps, but:
    2a) Script Execution order is not always respected (works when entering play mode, not when changing a script - so HaloManager.OnEnable does not know about all the lamps yet.
    2b) It doesn't solve problem 1b

Ok. Time to get creative. Idea 1 works fine in Player builds - let's just hack around in the editor.

Idea 3: Use EditorApplication.Update
    #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR
    using UnityEditor;
    #endif

class HaloManager
    {
    #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR
    void OnEnable () { EditorApplication.update += Update; }
    #endif
    }

This actually works and does what I need it to, but:
    3a) I'm updating Halo's every 100th / sec. In the real scenario, this actually has a performance degradation on my editor. I could get really clever and do dirty-tracking, but it seems overkill to have to do that just to get my editor to behave.
    3b) The code is super ugly. I could hide this in a superclass, but is this really necessary?

Surely, there must be some better way of doing this. Any ideas?