Search Unity

Question How to make a player's career game ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by superolekparasolek, Feb 10, 2024.

1. superolekparasolek

superolekparasolek

Some time ago I started learning Unity and C#. I think I have such basic knowledge for now. I want to create a game about ski jumping and complete the career of a ski jumper. I want to create a career, so the idea is that the player will be able to create his own player and develop him constantly. Something like a player's career in FIFA, but it's about a jumper. The game will be in 3D. My question is what knowledge do I need to create a player's career game? What guides should I watch? What should I learn to gain knowledge on how to create such a game? Where to start ? What to do later?

2. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

Design should focus on creating an MVP (Minimum Viable Product). At this stage, using simple objects (cubes and capsules), you build the core of the gameplay. You're not focusing on creating UI, jumper's career, graphics, or music.

At this stage, you're focused on the core gameplay, such as getting off the bench, gaining speed downhill, starting from the gate, air resistance... generally, a lot of physics. You're breaking down the topic into smaller parts, so in the first stage, you need to know how to start the game, how to give the material on the game object a slippery effect so it slides down the ramp, and how to add force with a key press to make it jump off the gate. The second stage is simulating air resistance and flight aerodynamics. The third stage is adding playability; the environment must change, the wind may be stronger or weaker. The fourth stage involves adding a simple UI and a career path, like seasoning a dish.

As a final step, or somewhere between stages 3 and 4, you can add graphics, while music and sound effects are, of course, added right at the end.

I estimate the working time to be at least one or even two years (depend on details and skills). If it's a project for assessment purposes, I would focus on at least getting it to stage 3 and forget about the rest.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    superolekparasolek likes this.
  3. superolekparasolek

superolekparasolek

Thanks for the answer . What sources to get knowledge from. Do you recommend any specific guides and people who will prepare me well for this? If so, write their name or paste a link to their channels

4. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

I always recomend to start from Junior Programmer Pathway. First to get general idea about Unity and some common repetable schemas, for example 'character grounded so no double jumping', or how to make background on the loop. It's all there.