Search Unity

How to make a Nintendo Switch game with Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bagazi, Nov 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bagazi

Bagazi

There is no topic of Nintendo Switch in Platform Topics. How can I make a Nintendo Switch game with Unity?

Stobros1 likes this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Stobros1 likes this.
  3. Bagazi

Bagazi

upload_2018-11-24_19-8-25.png No switch platform found....

Stobros1 likes this.
  4. orb

orb

What Murgilod said. You get a special version of Unity from Nintendo when you're registered.

Stobros1 likes this.
  5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Become a registered Nintendo developer. They distribute their own Unity version that will allow you to target the Switch when you're approved.

6. Bagazi

Bagazi

I have registered an account on https://developer.nintendo.com/register

[mod edit: removed personal information]

I am a Independent developer ,is there any further step for getting Unity?Anyway, I am not sure if I am approved... Should I send email for an application of Unity?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2020
    Stobros1 likes this.
  7. Ostwind

Ostwind

Nintendo needs to approve you, not Unity. If Nintendo does not accept your application then you will not make Switch games.

Stobros1 likes this.
  8. orb

orb

Anything related to your Nintendo developer account is beyond what we can help you with on these forums, and probably also forbidden to talk about outside their forums.

Michael_Vu likes this.
  9. Bagazi

Bagazi

Oh, I see,cause I am a individual developer,I dont have a company, is there some requirements for approvement?Is there any standard for individual? I have registered an account,should I take some other application or enrollment for it?How can I make contact with Nintendo?

10. Ostwind

Ostwind

https://developer.nintendo.com/faq

shasaur_unity likes this.
  11. Ryiah

Ryiah

You need to pitch your game to them. You can do that using the email address relevant to your location. You can find the email addresses at the link below under the section titled "Publishing Questions". Be prepared for them to ask for a demo showing off the game play.

https://developer.nintendo.com/contact

All three console manufacturers require you to have a registered business.

12. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Here are the links for starting with major consoles:
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers/id
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/develop/
    https://developer.nintendo.com/

With Nintendo, you need a developer account and then you need to reach out to Nintendo and try to convince them to let you purchase a dev kit. A dev kit is required for making Switch games.

If you already own a Nintendo Switch, then you can only use that to play existing Switch games. You cannot use your existing Switch as a dev kit to develop new games. You need to convince Nintendo to sell you a dev kit.

io-games and Ostwind like this.
  13. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

If you want to be able to create console games without needing to set up a business and beg for a dev kit, then one option is to buy a cheap Microsoft Xbox One and set that up with UWP. You can convert a retail Xbox One into a hobbyist style dev kit, and then you can build games in Unity and play them on Xbox One using UWP. It is not quite the same as an actual Xbox One dev kit, but it is cheap and easy to do. You can usually grab an XBox One S for about US$200.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/devkit-activation

Also, if you just want to create games that use a game controller, you can do that using Windows. Just connect your favorite game controller to Windows and build and test with Windows. In fact, I would strongly recommend doing that before taking the time to build for a console.

14. orb

orb

Ttheir Unite videos mentioned the point of the SRP was to create a baseline where the rendering didn't act wildly different even on mobile or consoles, so it seems logic. Try to summon Andy Touch, as he probably keeps track of these things pretty well.

15. Bagazi

Bagazi

Thanks very much!

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  16. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Good luck with your game dude.:cool:

Bagazi likes this.
  17. RichardKain

RichardKain

Basically, becoming a Switch developer is a much more involved process, and requires direct interaction with Nintendo themselves. It will likely also require you to register an official company. This isn't that hard, or even that expensive, but it does involve legal red-tape and paperwork. I registered a company a few years back. Not that difficult, but definitely a bit of a pain in the neck.

That's the bad news. The good news is that you don't have to be an official Switch developer to begin working on your game. Unity is a generalized enough engine that much of the Switch-specific development that you might need to do is abstracted into the engine itself. Unless you're going for something truly out-there in design, you should be able to develop most of your game before getting a Switch dev-kit. In fact, this is the path that most developers take. The Switch-specific tasks you would need to do would mainly involve platform-specific testing, possibly tweaking a few shaders, performance scaling, and integration of the Joy-con's rumble features.

18. EddieMasterOfGameplay

EddieMasterOfGameplay

can someone just tell me out how can I make games for Nintendo Wii U or 3DS????

19. Murgilod

Murgilod

Nintendo isn't letting developers register for either of these platforms anymore. so you can't unless you look into homebrew.

20. EddieMasterOfGameplay

EddieMasterOfGameplay

then how the h*ll I can make a game for Nintendo's platforms???

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Only by contacting nintendo. You have to contact them. Unity does not have a say in the matter and must also abide by these rules.

Other options:

Try homebrew, I'm just repeating Murgilod because it seems like it helps if everyone keeps saying the same things.

22. EddieMasterOfGameplay

EddieMasterOfGameplay

and what's homebrew? what it got with Wii U? and how can I contact Nintendo in order to allow 'em to let me deploy my game to Wii U?

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

Maybe you should try being EddieMasterOfGoogle instead of EddieMasterOfGameplay.

https://www.google.com/search?q=become nintendo developer

24. EddieMasterOfGameplay

EddieMasterOfGameplay

25. EddieMasterOfGameplay

EddieMasterOfGameplay

to be honest, I have been researching wii u stuff for a long time and I still can't figure out how to deploy to Wii U. because, in all of my researches I just made, there were only Switch stuff, and I'm not aiming to it for right now. because you know, from all the indies that want to deploy to switch, a very cramped number of 'em get approved, and I believe that still happening even to this day. so...

26. Murgilod

Murgilod

You can not deploy to the Wii U platform anymore. The console was discontinued in 2017.

27. Ryiah

Ryiah

Consoles have a limited lifespan. The Wii U's lifespan is now past the point that new titles can be shipped for it.

This is completely normal with Nintendo. They're very selective with their platforms. You'd have the exact same issue with the Wii U if it were still available. Switching to older platforms doesn't magically allow a game to squeeze through when it wasn't getting through on the current ones.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    hippocoder likes this.
  28. neginfinity

neginfinity

29. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

There are several Platformer PRO users doing Switch development, including one man shops:

Yes you will need a company.
    Yes you will need to pitch them something.
    Yes you will need some vaguely realistic hope of releasing.
    But is it a high bar to entry: no​

Other than some weird performance quirks and a bit of work to set up controls to support all the different modes Switch development is pretty smooth. Most importantly you could build a big chunk of your game without waiting on the switch support... this work could be used as part of the pitch to ensure you get the green light from Nintendo.

30. EddieMasterOfGameplay

EddieMasterOfGameplay

man, this is going to become a real world of pain, if Wii U isn't continued any longer, then what the h*ll platforms Nintendo allows their indies to develop games? that's just confusing me even more. I want a full explaination for all their indies development process and how to deploy to their platforms right now!

31. kdgalla

kdgalla

The Switch, obviously. What makes you think that the WiiU would have been more approachable than the Switch or 3DS?

32. Ryiah

Ryiah

Everything is behind non-disclosure agreements (you sign one when you create a developer account). We can't discuss any information beyond where you go to sign up and find out more information. From there contact them through either their forum or their contact info.

https://developer.nintendo.com/

33. EddieMasterOfGameplay

EddieMasterOfGameplay

I don't suppose I need to say, but a lot of people want to make games Switch, and as you may know, a very, very, VERY CRAMPED number of indies get access to the switch sdk. for example: if about 2000 indies ask Nintendo permission to get the switch sdk, only 14 of 'em get access to said sdk (that's completely example). and the main reason why I personally think the Wii U is more approachable than the switch and 3DS is: as far as I know of, they already got some tools to the Wii U like the web framework, and another one I forgot the name. but with my goddamn fear of copyrights, I fear that my game would get 100% declined of the switch and I get the switch sdk declined as well. it happened to a lot of indies! asking Nintendo permission to get the switch sdk? don't even get me started. I readed a lot of info around and there's no way I would deploy to switch. I would re-consider the Wii U if I was you.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  34. EddieMasterOfGameplay

EddieMasterOfGameplay

at least can you tell what are the tools and the steps to sign up as a Nintendo Developer and to get my game approved as detailed as possible?

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thread is locked, don't make a new thread on this same subject.

VictorKs, Ramlock, shadowfork and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.