Search Unity

How to make a lot of skins for 2d game? Looking for approach and optimization tips.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by gamebalance, Dec 13, 2019.

1. gamebalance

gamebalance

Hello!
    I want to have skins in our game Orbox B: Rebirth.
    Here is a screen how gameplay looks like. And below description of skins I want to make.

1. The main machine - box. Right now it is red. It has 3 dark lines on each side. It is the default shape. But it also could have a dozen of different colors to choose. Also the shapes of the box could be different and also each one have a number of colors. So it's like dozens of options. Shape/color.

2. Animated stamp or tattoo. Right now it is a star and a square pulsating over the canter of the box. Could have dozen of other colors to pick for taste. The shape of stamp could be a different animated image. With colors to choose. So this is even a bigger problem. Animation cycle has 30 frames. So to make each color as separate sprite is +30 sprites each time.

3. Trail left after the box. Also could have various shapes and colors to choose. It is static image.

4. Animated tail. It goes after the box. It's like a fire or smoke tail after. Fades away. It is sprite animation. It made of 3 layers to make it slightly random. 2 layers have 15 sprites and 1 layer has 12 sprites. But other skins could vary. Can be a fire after, or round waves, or bubbles, etc . The shape of this tail and color could be optional too.

Any tips for this can be helpful! The coder I work with do not understand much in graphics optimization.
    Personally I see the interesting way to make this could be to manipulate the color with shaders and then somehow print it into the texture. Like a constructor. I asked him but he doesn't know how to do that. So a link to a tutorial how to make this also something I am interested.