Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make a game like Pokemon Go?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by GSquadron, Jul 17, 2016.

1. GSquadron

GSquadron

Hello,
    I know the game is made with augmented reality, but this was the section which suited the most.
    How can I make such a game? I see tutorials about augmented reality but I do not know how to tracking with GPS.

2. lumeneo

lumeneo

With a combination of topographic relief data (USGS or Google API), the GPS coordinates of the mobile device, which can be queried using native device methods , and the phone's rotation (X,Y,Z) or (Pitch,Roll,Yaw) which can be calculated with the gravity, gyro and/or accelerometer sensor, that you can determine if you are looking at the point defined as the location of a virtually augmented NPC. More precision is possible on some mobile devices than others because, especially on Android, the sensor hardware capabilities vary.

Watch "Sensor Fusion on Android Devices: A Revolution in Motion Processing", for a fascinating overview of the Maths of sensors.

GSquadron likes this.
  3. Smokas

Smokas

AI engine for spawning NPC and other type of objects would be nice to have too. And of course phone camera access toolkit.

BTW All components can be found in asset store.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  4. kenmgrimm

kenmgrimm

I just implemented a simple version of the pokemon capture screen using Unity + Vuforia SDK, which turns out was overkill being that I ended up using Vuforia just to provide the camera view. Vuforia requires markers to fix on for positioning whereas Pokemon Go just overlays onto the camera view and then may either handle rotational tracking itself using the gyro info directly. It may also be using a library like this: https://www.kudan.eu/api/ which somehow does markerless tracking however I didn't spend enough time to look into it.
    I just did it by hand using Input.gyro.attitude and the results looked every bit as good as pokemon go.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  5. splitpete

splitpete

Hi,

We make a platform for location-based games. It comes with a Unity template, MapBox, Foursquare and Forecast.io Integration. It also communicates with our authoring tool. The authoring tool is online and lets you define how media is triggered. It can use GPS, location services, ibeacons, weather data, social cues, time of day, virtual items and a few others.

We're in the process of putting in Vuforia for a customer so that's coming. We're still in beta but if you're at a company or have a funded project we might be able to help. We're a small team so we're trying our best to get everything ready for release and resources are tight.

Check us out here: www.motive.io

I'd be interested to know what kinds of features other devs would want from this kind of platform. Any ideas would be welcome.

ramand likes this.
  6. JDMulti

JDMulti

I know a lot of topics like this will appear as soon there is a game with huge success. However I'm quite interested how they managed to get Google Maps data, recolor it and create there own gps located objectives. Not that I'm interested in creating something simular like Pokemon Go, but I'm already interested into gps located games for a long period. I just wonder how they did it. ;)

7. hk1973

hk1973

So technically, not saying we should do it, we can clone Pokemon Go completely with motive.lo?

8. splitpete

splitpete

As you say, they own the IP so don't do that.

From a technical perspective, our platform lets you trigger media (text, images audio, video, Vuforia AR (coming end of summer)) based on a number of conditions. You can see those conditions listed here: http://www.motive.io/features/

Our authoring tool lets you define how/when/where that media should be triggered. There's a video on our website here: http://www.motive.io/authoring-tool/

We have tried to make it general because it is up to our customers how they want their game to be. Some want repeatable game play like Pokemon Go, others like narrative based things with an end, some do art-based, large scale sound environments, etc....

We started as a game company years ago and made this location based game: www.coderunnergame.com

The thing we really wanted to was solve the problem between our creative director and us as engineers. He is very good at game play and narrative and we're good at coding. So the workflow was:
    • He would give us a bunch of docs & spreadsheets,
    • We'd code that whenever we had a free moment
    • He'd try it and say it needed changes
    • Repeat
    That loop might happen 50-100 times before we'd have a game. A lot of that time was one group waiting on the other. We wanted to fix that.

We wanted to give him the ability to iterate without needing to rely on the engineers. So we made our online authoring tool & a basic Unity template and put that on his phone. That let him author stuff, try it and change it on his own. In parallel, myself and the other engineer can further customize the template and periodically give the creative director a new version. Basically, it aims to get rid of the two groups waiting on each other.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    ramand likes this.
  9. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well, they are partners with Google and Google was originally their mother company so they can probably have any kind of api access they want in their hands. Also a lot of the Pokemon Go data is based on Ingress, their previous game that has been running for years collecting data. In that sense it's almost impossible for anyone to get even close to the same level of map awareness and data they have now.

10. Erminesoft

Erminesoft

That is so much of a trend that..check it out! How to Create a Game Like Pokemon Go
    Nintendo made the technology of augmented reality mainstream, so those developers and businessmen who want to catch their wave of success should probably explore the trend and push it further. There is lots of room for innovation and great ideas.
    http://erminesoft.com/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  11. ErlichStewart

ErlichStewart

Hello Everyone!

Pokemon Go has taken over the world. Its everywhere, from Facebook Feeds to Tumblr and even Scoopwhoop.
    Clearly, the masses have liked the gameplay which is somewhat new to the gaming industry, 'Augmented Reality'.
    Surely, we have had games like 'Ingress' and 'Run, Zombies!' which had a similar AR integration but that did not get noticed as much.

Thanks to a nostalgic childhood legacy, the same gameplay technology was finally noticed by the masses with Pokemon Go. An AR integrated Harry Potter Game is doing some rounds in rumour circles.
    The AR integration in Gaming is here to stay. Games in the similar fray will make money. If Pokemon Go is valued at $8 billion (allegedly), similar games or even clones could be worth at least a few millions if carefully executed.

I have seen tutorials coming up on the Internet, as to "How to Make a Game Like Pokemon Go!" , and some of them are actually quite good!.

If you are a developer, head to one such Tutorial ( like this one here ) and start your project.
    If you aren't as good at coding, find your team and fund them. Investing in one of these ideas is not a bad idea at all!

Thanks,
    Erlich Stewart.

12. cuddlebunny

cuddlebunny

ppl are so in to the ar of the game that ppl dont want to make the other part of the game witch is the maping pat and gps witch is the part i need to no how to make as well for a rnd project but hear is some thing that may help http://docs.back4app.com/docs/new-parse-app/how-to-build-a-pokemon-go-app/
    it kinda help me but i nee a better maping system almost like ingres or pokemon go one i dont need ar beuse i no how to make that it the other part hop this help

13. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  14. makaka-org

makaka-org

Create your own Pokemon GO!

Note: The camera implements markerless augmented reality by using a gyroscope like Pokemon GO. It's easy to set up the asset for marker-based AR like Vuforia.

AR Basketball GO - simple arcade for mobile platforms with realistic physics of a basketball net and hoop.

Download: http://u3d.as/FJ5

Tested with iOS 10.2 on iPhone 6.
    Tested with Android 6.0 on Samsung Galaxy S7.

All modules are designed independently to keep this asset extendable & easy to understand.

Download: http://u3d.as/FJ5

SaltwaterAssembly likes this.
  15. Rameezramzan

Rameezramzan

Technologies behind Pokémon Go mobile app

Considering that we are talking about a complicated mobile game for both mobile platforms - iOS and Android, not a traditional application, the amount of money you are going to need if you decide to create a gaming app, especially the one like Pokémon Go, is rather significant. The mobile game development alone can take up to three years of teamwork, set apart the expensive tools and game servers to create and maintain the game.

What empowers Pokémon Go: Choosing a game engine

You may have heard of various engines for mobile games creation, both 2D and 3D. If you regard Pokémon Go as a role-model and strive to create something like that, pay your attention to Unity 3D game development engine. Among other engines for 3D games creation, Unity enables game developers to create massive multiplayer online games. Pokémon Go is known to be a Unity-powered mobile world that builds off real-life maps.

As for the money matters. Game development process depends heavily on the game concept you bare in mind, complexity, platform choice, graphics datalization, which makes it sometimes cost the earth. Just for the record, the simplest Unity3D game you can imagine will cost you $50,000 at the very least.

That minimal cost for the Unity 3D development includes expenses for Game Designer, Programmer, Art and Animation, Audio, Quality Assurance, and, of course, for license purchase. Now you see what takes lion's share of the game like Pokémon Go building cost.

The discussion may be finished at this point. However, I suggest you going further and see how the features we see in Pokémon Go can add to the player's experience, and, to be faithful, to the application cost.

Location-awareness: Pokémon Go app knows where you are

Google Maps integration with Unity 3D engine makes it possible to use a map from Google as a texture in the game. Location awareness via GPS directs the player to one of the millions identified points of interest known as PokéStops.

The implementation will take another 40+ hours, which adds another a few thousand of dollars to the game cost.

In-app purchase: Pokémon Go way of monetization

Pokémon Go has hit the top of the App Store's top-grossing charts, we all know that. The game is completely free-to-play but it certainly does not neglect monetization. In fact, pretty much of what you do in the game, motivates you to make a payment. You can increase the capture sessions, use Incense to make more Pokémon appear outside of the usual spots, Lucky Eggs to boost your XP and many-many more ways to "Be The Best Like No-one Ever Was".

If you want to add in-app purchase functionality to your app, consider 70-100 hours of development over the main time.

Notifications: Get players informed

Notification functionality is one of those things Pokémon Go have missed but shouldn't have. The extreme and instant success of the game may weaken creator's vigilance and they can pay for it with users' attention loss. Integrating push notifications is the best-proven method retain and re-engage players.

Pokémon Go can take advantage of push notifications campaigns to make players chase, battle and level up. To grab user's attention immediately, send timely alerts of nearby lures and Pokémons. Moreover, push notifications are a great way to increase loyalty by notifying about after-crash recovery or special bonuses for coming back.

Let's estimate: How much Pokémon Go-like app developments costs

The simplest Unity-powered game will cost you at least $50,000. These expenses will include game design (however, don't expect the elaborate graphics), game development and quality assurance. All extra features like location awareness, in-app purchases, augmented reality integration, and anything you can think of will add up to your app cost.

To get more information about developing process and costs of App like Pokémon Go, please read this article: Apps like Pokémon Go: How much does it cost to develop one?

16. splitpete

splitpete

Nice to see this thread is still going!

While we don't have every feature that Pokemon Go has, we do have a lot to make a cool location-based AR game.

17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

While I appreciate that this thread was initially a good place for you to advertise because it was on topic, in future I feel a new thread should be made so that this kind of marketing crap can be placed in there. Motive has already been advertised in this thread once already, furthermore you were not even announcing new features in a feature thread or anything, this is just blatant marketing?

Im sure most users would prefer if its kept on topic and about how to make pokemon go rather than going a circle promoting a piece of 3rd party software / framework / library etc. There is always a forum for advertisement!

Sorry but I for one am getting sick of how much bloat there is on these forums with not enough being done to combat it.

SaltwaterAssembly and DrumLord like this.
  18. DrumLord

DrumLord

I strongly agree with you.

nelsonlarocca likes this.
  19. makaka-org

makaka-org

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  20. unity_xFc3hWzz_i9ZYQ

unity_xFc3hWzz_i9ZYQ

Making a game like Pokemon Go is definitely possible by using Google APi for location sensoring. There are other ways too but this is perhaps the easiest of them all. If you want to go for game app development for a Pokemon Go like game then you will need to hire the best developers out there who know AR/VR, segmentation issue definitions among other such stuff, otherwise the game would be a major dud.

unityunity