Search Unity

How to make a game like a Tamagotchi? (where to start)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by DDRenegade, Jul 15, 2015.

1. DDRenegade

DDRenegade

Hello. I'm new to making games. I have been a few hours searching documentation and tutorials but I feel overwhelmed and saturated by all the information and I'm not getting anything so please I would appreciate your help very much.

I have experience with coding in C, C++ and Python and I would like to know what I need to start with a project like a Tamagotchi: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tamagotchi-classic/id711280317?mt=8

The game would be about caring a virtual being and would be designed for a mobile device (android preferably), the events would occur according the system time/clock (this is crucial for the game) and interactions with the screen, camera or microphone.
    And physics would be not required.

I know that this may be very simple for somebody, but for me is the hardest thing because I can't see the big picture like I have said before I have been a few hours searching and collecting documentation and tutorials but nothing seems to be useful for my purposes.

I really would love to make this game. Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Sorry about my english.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Forget (for now) about finding stuff that seems useful for your purposes.

You can't jump right in to trying to make a specific game if you have zero development experience. You first must learn tools & skills — a large set of these. Learn Unity, sprites, animation, sounds, and the C# language. Then come back to your tomogotchi idea, and fill in any gaps you have at that point.

You're right, you can skip learning about physics and networking and a few other things. But that still leaves a very large set of basic and general things you need to know, and pretty much any beginner-level Unity tutorial (of which there are many) will teach you these basics.

So, all you need at this point is a shift in your objectives... instead of thinking "does this tutorial show me how to make a tomogotchi game?" you should think "does this tutorial teach me something new?" If the answer is "yes" (as it almost always will be, at first), then enjoy that tutorial! Learning is fun, and is also a prerequisite for creating the game of your dreams.

Misphario and TobidoT like this.
  3. DDRenegade

DDRenegade

I liked to start making the game at once because now I have the time and the will to start making it, but deep down I know you're right... I need to know the basics first.
    I also wanted at least to do a prototype to encourage me and the people around me to help me with it because is hard to make a game all alone (and because I suck in the artistic field).

Well, I'm going to start doing begginers tutorials and then I will return here in a few days / weeks asking for more help.
    Thank you Joe.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    JoeStrout likes this.
  4. colortelevision

colortelevision

hope you didnt give up Renegade